Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

lpellegr

Tomato Soup Like Campbells!

Rate this topic

Totally did it, based on some recipes from the internet.

Mix one can of tomato paste with 4 cans of water until smooth (this makes about 4 cups).  Set aside.

Melt 2 T of butter over low heat, add 2 T of cornstarch and mix well to make a roux.

Add the tomato stuff to the roux, turn up the heat and stir until it boils and thickens.  It might look horrible until the end, like it has a nasty rash, but eventually it will turn out smooth and pretty.

Add 1 c milk, 1/4 c sugar (or to taste, but this seems to get that Campbell's level of sweetness), and 1 t salt.  Stir to dissolve the sugar.

The thickness is just right.  Now if only I had saltines...

We  have  made  this  recipe  off  the  net for  several  years.. while  it is good I'm lazy in my old  age &  we  really  like amy's  tomato  bisque  with  grilled  cheese  sammies....

By  the  way  if  you  want  a  cracker  that  is  most like  a  saltine  try galbusa  ..... very popular  & good..... they  have been  available  for  several years...

Is there a gluten-free condensed tomato soup like Campbell's? I used to use it in a couple of recipes and would love to have a condensed version.