This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How About Stress?

w8in4dave

w8in4dave Community Regular

Does stress seem to explode? seems just recently I get so stressed so quickly! Is it just me? Or is this because of all my intolerances ?? I am thinking maby I'm just getting too freaky! Do you ever just want to eat!?? My kids left some cookies for hubbs! The girl scout cookies with Coconut and stuff , and yea I sooooo wanted to just eat one! Of course "No can do" but I so wanted to cheat! I texted my daughter and said how mean that was to do that to me! LOL She said I'm sooo sorry mom!! Of course I get over it fast LOL But sometimes I just want to eat!! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

I know well the I-JUST-WANT-TO-EAT-THAT!! feeling!  I've only been at this since October and I already get tired of analyzing labels, over-thinking everything I eat, etc. etc.  Luckily, I live alone so at least when I'm home there is no temptation.  My boyfriend knows me so well at this point he bought me blueberries for Valentine's Day instead of chocolate.  :P   Probably sounds weird... but blueberries are my most favorite food in the world and I could take-it-or-leave it with candy - and I'd rather leave it.

Anyhow... about the stress.  For a couple of years (give or take) before my diagnosis I was noticing a significant change in my ability to deal with stress.  Irritability, moodiness, going from 0 to 60 in about 10 seconds - wanting to kill.  Anger.  And then more anger for feeling like this for no apparent reason.  Vitamin B Complex really, really helped me.  They make one with Vit. C and Zinc in it, which are also really good for stress.  Finding time to do something just for yourself helps more than you'd think too.  Doesn't really matter what it is.  Just take a little time-out each day to do something just for you.  Exercise, a cup of coffee on the back porch, go to a park and sit on the swings, take a hot bath... whatever works for you.  Even 10 - 20min a day works wonders.

Yea maby thats what it is. It seems I get alot of alone time. But it's not relaxing time. Alot of things going on with us and this weather has been crazy doing so much stuff to our house! Ughhh seems a few months ago I could handle it. Now I just want to explode! Run away and hide! Not have to handle it. So I make my self step back and take a look at the situation and try and figure out if I can do anything about it or if it is what it is? And one of my favorite words is Chillax :) lol sometimes I have to talk to myself and tell myself to Chillax ... Just seems this has been going on the last few months tho. 

I can handle the food deal! Thats been ok unless it's an accidental thing I just didn't know about.. Learning everyday! At least every other day. 

moosemalibu Collaborator

I always smell everyones food that I can't eat at work. And pretend for a moment that it was mine. But then I eat my own lunch. haha

bartfull Rising Star

Just the winter weather we've had alone is enough to cause this. I have a lot of non-celiac friends who have expressed those feelings lately. I feel that way! I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I feel like I just can't take any more. I have cried more than once like a spoiled little kid, because it's been "so cold and miserable", and" I hurt from the cold", and "the big bulky gloves I have to wear have me dropping everything", and "I need groceries but it's so cold and windy I'd rather do without", etc.

Hang in there. It's going to get better for all of us!

ItchyAbby Enthusiast

Hey there w8in!

I just wanted to out in my 2 cents:

Back in November and December I was having a really hard time dealing with stress - not just big STRESS but little everyday things were freaking me out. I was just so frazzled and felt ready to burst in to tears or throw S#&% at the drop of a hat. So, I enacted some really careful stress reduction protocols for myself:

- 2 hours before bedtime, turn lights in the house low and turn off computer. Read something relaxing, drink tea. Minimize stimulation.

- Take a hot bath with epsom salts right before hopping into bed. Epsom is magnesium with is very relaxing for the body.

- Get into bed earlier and at the same time every night. I started getting into bed at 9:30 every night.

- Walk outside every morning, rain or shine. Even just around the block.

- I also took some supplements prescribed by my Naturopath - L-theanine, magnesium and ashwaganda

- Avoid tv and the news like the plague

- No sugar or caffeine (even chocolate had to go, as it really wired me up!)

And it worked! About 3 weeks of this routine and I was starting to feel better. I still follow most of these practices today because they really work for me. You may have to figure out what would work for you, but I recommend checking in with yourself to see what might be causing stress/overstimulation.

nvsmom Community Regular

(hugs) It's definitely harder to eat well when stressed. Hide emergency goodies in the freezer.... Of course if you are anything like me, those goodies will disappear pretty quick when the going gets tough, so don't buy too much.  LOL ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Thanks for the tips :) I will try and focus on relaxing techniques :) There was a death in the family ... So I have to Chillax. 

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

There was a death in the family ... So I have to Chillax. 

So sorry to hear that...   (((hugs))).

sarahdea Rookie

So sorry to hear you lost someone. This winter has been a stress/depression nightmare, and dealing with a death in the family only adds grief to the stress pile.

Have you ever tried yoga? It's a wonderful form of "active relaxation."  The combination of isometric exercise combined with deep breathing and focused meditation helps trigger the body into the "relaxation response" instead of the "stress response."

This also: Stress and anxiety tax the adrenal glands, which taxes the thyroid, which throws all your hormones out of balance...which makes everything else seem worse.  So the 'chillax' advice is actually physiologically necessary to heal from the issues the stress is causing. 

Um...I can't help ya on the girl scout cookies tho. Stupid evil gluten-rich society.

Thanks everyone LOL "Stupid evil gluten-rich society." <-- love it! Yup they are Stupid evil Gluten rich Corn eating society! Haha :) Well the stress level is easing up. I used to be able to handle stress ... I was always the calm one and took charge when something stressful came up. This is the first time it has hit me like this! And I couldn't handle it! My husband was wondering what was wrong with me! But it was affecting my kids and I don't like to see my kids hurt.. Not sure if that was the reason or not. But thats wht I am chalking it up to. That and our house is having Issues. Specially with Company coming in to town. Ughh It was not fun! But it is over now, And I feel like every bit of strength is sucked outta me! MAby in a few days I will feel better. Doesn't help it'd -9ºF outside and going to be -13º tonight I hate weather! LOL Cannot wait till I can complain about how hot it is outside!!! 

Archived