This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Long After Being Glutened Do You Feel It?

icelandgirl

icelandgirl Proficient

I think I've been glutened...but I'm not sure. I've been feeling better daily until today. Had the big D after a week and a half without. Stomach cramping, achy joints, fuzzy head. Awful...tired...etc.

I ate out for the first time on Saturday...felt fine then, Sunday and yesterday. Then today it's awful. Could it take this long? I've looked at everything else I've eaten and prepared myself and I don't see anything. Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

luvs2eat Collaborator

How long have you been gluten free? It seems like people's reactions happen faster when they've been gluten-free for longer periods of time. When I first started eating gluten-free, I made lots of mistakes and never had any symptoms. A few years later, I was glutened and it took about 4 hours for the explosive D to hit. I've been gluten-free for more than 10 years and the last time I was glutened (last year), it was within an hour and incredibly violent as my body simply purged itself for hours and hours from both ends.

icelandgirl Proficient

How long have you been gluten free? It seems like people's reactions happen faster when they've been gluten-free for longer periods of time. When I first started eating gluten-free, I made lots of mistakes and never had any symptoms. A few years later, I was glutened and it took about 4 hours for the explosive D to hit. I've been gluten-free for more than 10 years and the last time I was glutened (last year), it was within an hour and incredibly violent as my body simply purged itself for hours and hours from both ends.

It's been about 4 weeks. I feel like I've been so careful.
CaliSparrow Collaborator

That's awful luvs2eat! I've heard the symptoms can get worse but I am not there yet. Icelandgirl, I've been gluten-free for 15 months. The third and fourth days are the most obvious for me. The first thing it impacts is my ability to think so it sometimes takes the symptoms getting a head of steam for me to realize it's happened. That's unless I try out a restaurant (which is rare) and if I leave really dopey & tired, I know I've been hit. When I don't expect it, I become clueless until the bigger symptoms happen. Also, I have found that stress and lack of sleep can give me some symptoms. Sometimes, I feel generally unwell because the gut hasn't had time to fully heal and sometimes it's because I'm sensitive to a food other than gluten. The first year was hard for me.

I hope you feel better soon!

Cali

icelandgirl Proficient

That's awful luvs2eat! I've heard the symptoms can get worse but I am not there yet. Icelandgirl, I've been gluten-free for 15 months. The third and fourth days are the most obvious for me. The first thing it impacts is my ability to think so it sometimes takes the symptoms getting a head of steam for me to realize it's happened. That's unless I try out a restaurant (which is rare) and if I leave really dopey & tired, I know I've been hit. When I don't expect it, I become clueless until the bigger symptoms happen. Also, I have found that stress and lack of sleep can give me some symptoms. Sometimes, I feel generally unwell because the gut hasn't had time to fully heal and sometimes it's because I'm sensitive to a food other than gluten. The first year was hard for me.I hope you feel better soon!Cali

Thanks Cali. Ugh...it feels icky. And it's so disappointing after starting to feel better. I think I'm gonna have to blame it on the restaurant and it took me 2 1/2 days to feel it.
NoGlutenCooties Contributor

Just throwing this out there... any chance it's a bug?

icelandgirl Proficient

Just throwing this out there... any chance it's a bug?

I'm not a doctor so I don't know I guess. It feels much more like everything I was feeling before going Gluten-Free. Even my lower left rib cage is sore again and that was going away.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

icelandgirl Proficient

Looking over everything I've eaten leading up to what I think is glutening I also realized that I had oats for the first time since my diagnosis. They were Bob's Red Mill gluten free. So...The 2 thoughts are either being glutened by Red Robin and feeling it about 48 hours after or the oats and feeling it less than 2 hours after.

Does anyone else have delayed reactions? How long does it take to get better? And is there anything I can do to help it?

Thanks so much for any advice.

I haven't touched oats since my diagnosis so I can't say for sure whether I could tolerate them.  But both my uncle and my mother have Celiac and neither of them can tolerate oats - even the certified gluten-free ones.  They both react the same to them as they would to wheat or anything else with gluten in it.  (Which is why I haven't gone near them.)

icelandgirl Proficient

I haven't touched oats since my diagnosis so I can't say for sure whether I could tolerate them.  But both my uncle and my mother have Celiac and neither of them can tolerate oats - even the certified gluten-free ones.  They both react the same to them as they would to wheat or anything else with gluten in it.  (Which is why I haven't gone near them.)

I really didn't think anything of it. I was making meatloaf and it called for oats and I had gluten free ones. Now I'm suffering.

Have you ever been glutened? What does it feel like? How long does it last? Does anything help? I was feeling so encouraged and this feels like a setback and it's hard emotionally.

I really didn't think anything of it. I was making meatloaf and it called for oats and I had gluten free ones. Now I'm suffering.

Have you ever been glutened? What does it feel like? How long does it last? Does anything help? I was feeling so encouraged and this feels like a setback and it's hard emotionally.

I was glutened once when I took a little tiny taste of tabuli that I got mixed up with another salad.  The tabuli had bulgar wheat in it - and I couldn't have eaten more than about 6 or so tiny pieces of it.  A few hours later I went to bed and shortly afterwards was woken up with chills and cold sweats - like what you get when you come down with the flu or get food-poisoning.  Thankfully I didn't experience any intestinal symptoms and was able to force myself to go back to sleep.  The next day I couldn't concentrate, was still freezing cold, and completely exhausted.  I was tired and "off" for about 5 days and was irritable for a couple weeks or so.  I was so pissed at myself!

Everyone seems to have different reactions though - partially based on how much gluten they actually consume.  Seems like a person's reaction will vary over time too.

Many Celiacs can tolerate gluten-free oats, but some of us can't.  Sorry you had to learn the hard way.

Did you put ketchup on the meatloaf?  I don't think all ketchup is gluten-free either.

Edited to add: Forgot to mention, my first sign that I was going to get symptoms was bloating.  Before I went to bed my stomach blew up like a balloon - I swear I looked pregnant.

icelandgirl Proficient

I was glutened once when I took a little tiny taste of tabuli that I got mixed up with another salad.  The tabuli had bulgar wheat in it - and I couldn't have eaten more than about 6 or so tiny pieces of it.  A few hours later I went to bed and shortly afterwards was woken up with chills and cold sweats - like what you get when you come down with the flu or get food-poisoning.  Thankfully I didn't experience any intestinal symptoms and was able to force myself to go back to sleep.  The next day I couldn't concentrate, was still freezing cold, and completely exhausted.  I was tired and "off" for about 5 days and was irritable for a couple weeks or so.  I was so pissed at myself!Everyone seems to have different reactions though - partially based on how much gluten they actually consume.  Seems like a person's reaction will vary over time too.Many Celiacs can tolerate gluten-free oats, but some of us can't.  Sorry you had to learn the hard way.Did you put ketchup on the meatloaf?  I don't think all ketchup is gluten-free either. Edited to add: Forgot to mention, my first sign that I was going to get symptoms was bloating.  Before I went to bed my stomach blew up like a balloon - I swear I looked pregnant.

Thanks...I'm bummed. The ketchup was gluten free. So either the oats or red robin. I'm so painfully gassy and constantly burping and uncomfortable and the D. Hopefully it starts to get better soon? I just went and got digestive enzymes since a lot of people on here say those help.

I guess I want to think it was glutening because I don't want to have something else be wrong with me. Between late December and late January I received 4 diagnoses...Uterine polyps, gallbladder polyps, h pylori and celiac. I'm 2 weeks out of gallbladder removal and uterine polyp removal and was really ready to have my life maybe start feeling normal. Sigh.

notme Experienced

I'm not a doctor so I don't know I guess. It feels much more like everything I was feeling before going Gluten-Free. Even my lower left rib cage is sore again and that was going away.

when i get that lower left under the rib cage pain, it is a dead giveaway.  my reaction time is also 2 days - very frustrating!  lolz - and the last time i ate out, it was (ta daaa!)  red robin.  i had eaten there before with no issue, but they got me the second time i tried it.  i start getting a headache and gradually, joint pain, fatigue, the big D, all those lovely symptoms i lived with for years.  annnd for me it takes 14 days to get back to normal.  sorry you got hit - hope you feel better (everybody's duration of symptoms seem to be different, as well...)

GF Lover Rising Star

I feel it before my dinner is over.  Takes the question work right out of the equation.

Colleen

icelandgirl Proficient

when i get that lower left under the rib cage pain, it is a dead giveaway.  my reaction time is also 2 days - very frustrating!  lolz - and the last time i ate out, it was (ta daaa!)  red robin.  i had eaten there before with no issue, but they got me the second time i tried it.  i start getting a headache and gradually, joint pain, fatigue, the big D, all those lovely symptoms i lived with for years.  annnd for me it takes 14 days to get back to normal.  sorry you got hit - hope you feel better (everybody's duration of symptoms seem to be different, as well...)

OMG...The rib pain. I hate it. Does anything help with it? It's a constant.

I was so excited to go out to eat...first time since being diagnosed. The waitress was very knowledgeable. And now this...ugh.

Archived