Nikki2777

An Anniversary Thank You To Everyone Here!

Rate this topic

I'm just about at the 1st anniversary of my diagnosis and I want to take a minute to thank everyone here for your amazing advice and support.  If I were to look back at my first posts, I'd see a lot of denial, anger, negotiation (Can I have just a little bit of gluten???), but here I am, one year later - through your guidance having found wonderful foods, recipes, gluten-free bakeries, and acceptance of the way things just will be from here on out.  

I consider myself extremely lucky that my Celiac was found so early - I'd only been having symptoms for a few years, and it was just starting to get bad. When I read the stories here of missed diagnosis, years of pain and patronizing doctors who tell you 'it's all in your head', I am so sad for those of you who have had to endure this, and I hope that I can offer you some support in return.

It's not always easy;  I miss the ability to just pop into a restaurant when i'm on the go and order anything I want, and I don't enjoy going into the 'spiel' with the waiter, and having to evaluate and assess every morsel that goes into my mouth. BUT - I feel so much better, no longer itch all over, no longer live doubled over, no longer have daily headaches, and that is worth it!  As I was explaining to a friend, "How lucky am I that what was wrong with me is treatable, and that I can treat it simply with diet - no daily pills, injections, or chemo."

Thanks again, to all of you who have been here before me, and to those who are just getting diagnosed, I promise you -- it does get easier!

Nikki

congratulations, nikki!  :)  thanx for your words of encouragement, too - it's great to have support from people who understand just how demanding/rewarding this diet can be.  i know i would have had a much harder time of it if not for the members of this forum.  keep up the good work!!!  :D

You know, I just gave a guitar lesson to an incredibly talented young boy, and it is such a satisfying feeling when they "get it" and I see improvement.

Now, reading your post I get that same feeling. You "get it", you're improving, and whether I had a small part in it or if it was my friends here, I feel that satisfaction. Because when you get right down to it, it's really my student's hard work that gets him where he needs to be and I only guide him.

And YOU are the one who did the hard work that got you where you need to be. If any of us were able to guide you, it has been a privelege. :D

You can lead the horse to water, but you can't hold his head under.  (that's a Steven Wright line, not mine)  :)

You did the work to get well (which, yes includes acceptance and adaptation).

We can only learn from each other, then pay it forward. Thanks for telling your success

story and for letting us know you feel better. Hope you will stick around to help the newbs that keep coming here

to learn.

Congrats on your anniversary of stopping the madness that is "active" celiac. Continued good health to you!!