DucksnPucks

Fatigue - Ugh!

Rate this topic

Hey Gang-

Well, did it again. Ate something (though I'm still investigating exactly what IT is) that has gluten in it, and I'm paying for it. What I don't understand is that I've been incredibly careful. But I do know, after living with this for almost 12 years now, that being extremely careful is no guarantee. 

I've noticed from reading the boards here that many people have fatigue listed as one of the main symptoms, and most have it within hours of eating something with gluten. However, my fatigue doesn't hit until late, at least a couple days and sometimes a full week after being glutened. Is this normal? I don't usually get strong gastro symptoms, aside from bloating and C. Just wondering if anyone else gets fatigue about 48 hours after the initial glutening. 

Thanks everyone!

I've only been gluten-free about 5 months now and have only been glutened once - so I have limited experience to share.  The one time I got glutened I got cold sweats and couldn't get warm - this started a few hours after having eaten the gluten cooties - so about 10pm.  Then by the next morning I was exceptionally exhausted.  Like the feeling you get after having the flu for 3 days.  I felt completely spent and hollow and all I wanted to do was sit and stare into space or sleep.  After about 5 days I felt pretty much normal again but noticed I was much more irritable than usual for quite awhile after that - like a few weeks maybe.

It takes 2-3 days for the fatigue to hit me. Since I know when it's coming, when I have obviously been hit I try to get a few extra chores in order now in that spare day or two before I end up completely flat. Sometimes I'll throw a casserole or two in the freezer so I don't have to cook so much. Other than the GI symptoms that hit me in 30 minutes, and being gassy until the fatigue comes I'm fine until it hits.