Rate this topic

Hi everyone!

So I recently had my blood levels checked and it was found that I had an iron deficiency as well as a folic acid (folate) deficiency. My doctor gave me a prescription for folic acid, and also recommended I take "Slow-FE" iron supplements (over the counter)

I'm a bit wary of starting an iron regimen, since back in 2009 my doctor (different doctor) put me on a prescription of iron pills and I developed a fissure that still comes back now and then.

Has anyone had experience with this particular iron supplement? I know it must be a different pill than I took before, but I'm still cautious. I was considering just taking the pills when I have my period. I want to feel better, I just don't want to overdo it on the iron.

Thanks in advance!

I've used that brand. Start slow. Take just one tablet (I never took two even when the doc suggested it) every three days. Take with vit. C for better absorption. Wait a week or two and then go to taking one every other day. Wait for another week until you work up to a daily tablet. I take mine at night with a vit. C tab or a glass of OJ so it will not interfere with my calcium or thyroid meds/supplements. I would also recommend starting psyllium husk (Metamucil ) taken during the day away to help keep things moving along. Start slow too. 1/2. Teaspoon daily and work up to a heaping in a week or so. Just pay attention to your body. Takes a couple of months for improvement (at least for me).