Rate this topic

Hi people - I have just joined the forum today and have attempted to gluten free several times in the past but never stuck with it - as you are already probably aware it can be difficult to give up something you have eaten for most of your life.

If you have been gluten free for 6-12 months what effects has it had on your mind and body and how difficult was it for you to make the transition? 

I have been tested for coeliac and the results were negative however I know that wheat exacerbates my psoriasis and causes problems in my gut and I wont bore you with stool descriptions :-)

The longest I have been without gluten is probably about 2-3 weeks.  I feel I need to give it up pretty much for good - I think I may be able to tolerate small amounts but it never works that way - a small amount more often than not tends to lead to larger amounts/

If you can share your experience or give me some moral support then it would be most welcome.

Ciao for now!

Hi people - I have just joined the forum today and have attempted to gluten free several times in the past but never stuck with it - as you are already probably aware it can be difficult to give up something you have eaten for most of your life.

If you have been gluten free for 6-12 months what effects has it had on your mind and body and how difficult was it for you to make the transition? 

I have been tested for coeliac and the results were negative however I know that wheat exacerbates my psoriasis and causes problems in my gut and I wont bore you with stool descriptions :-)

The longest I have been without gluten is probably about 2-3 weeks.  I feel I need to give it up pretty much for good - I think I may be able to tolerate small amounts but it never works that way - a small amount more often than not tends to lead to larger amounts/

If you can share your experience or give me some moral support then it would be most welcome.

Ciao for now!

You might want to start here:

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/

Read around on the current threads.  Look at the what's for dinner thread to give you some food ideas.  

FYI - Product ingredients can vary by country.

Not eating gluten made a huge difference for me.  I went from not being able to be away from the toilet and still not making it there pretty often to normal.  I went from no energy where it took me all day to mow 1/4 of the yard, to mowing the whole yard being a small part of what I get done in a day.  I went from not being able to run around the block to participating in a mini marathon.  My vision went from 20:40 to 20:20.  I went from not being able to concentrate enough to read the newspaper to being able to read and understand research journal articles and apply them to my work.  It is still a challenge for me to avoid gluten contamination as I seem to be particularly sensitive.  It has been well worth every bit of effort.  I saw good change after 2-3 weeks, but so much more with more time.  Even now after more than 6 years I still see improvement.  There was a lot that needed to heal.  It takes some discipline, but you can do it.

Not eating gluten made a huge difference for me.  I went from not being able to be away from the toilet and still not making it there pretty often to normal.  I went from no energy where it took me all day to mow 1/4 of the yard, to mowing the whole yard being a small part of what I get done in a day.  I went from not being able to run around the block to participating in a mini marathon.  My vision went from 20:40 to 20:20.  I went from not being able to concentrate enough to read the newspaper to being able to read and understand research journal articles and apply them to my work.  It is still a challenge for me to avoid gluten contamination as I seem to be particularly sensitive.  It has been well worth every bit of effort.  I saw good change after 2-3 weeks, but so much more with more time.  Even now after more than 6 years I still see improvement.  There was a lot that needed to heal.  It takes some discipline, but you can do it.

Thanks for sharing your story; it sounds like you've experienced massive benefits from staying gluten-free - I have found it difficult in the past mainly due to hitting a plateau and thinking the benefits were not worth the Continued efforts.

Do you eat a lot of gluten-free foods or do you eat very simple foods?

I think I also have issues with grains in general or dairy - tonight I had rice salad and goats cheese and I'm feeling discomfort in my stomach and knee joints.

I have always suspected dairy may be a problem but it is yet again one of those ubiquitous foods that seems almost impossible to avoid!

I think I am going to make quinoa and buckwheat my choice for carbs and stick with fish and lots of of vegetables and salads.

Thanks for sharing your story; it sounds like you've experienced massive benefits from staying gluten-free - I have found it difficult in the past mainly due to hitting a plateau and thinking the benefits were not worth the Continued efforts.

Do you eat a lot of gluten-free foods or do you eat very simple foods?

I am susceptible to small amounts of gluten cross contamination and I stay away from most packaged foods.  I needed to use elimination dieting combined with a food/symptom journal to determine a safe diet for me.