Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Raywuwei

Thoughts On Taking Stimulant Laxatives For Bloating

Rate this topic

I have been feeling bloated for about two weeks. I have the slightly protruding tummy that feels tight after I eat even a little meal. My sisters and my Mom (who have tested negative for celiac) drink Smooth Move tea when they feel this way, so I bought some. I know the tea is gluten-free but now I am reading that stimulant laxatives an cause cramping and damage to the intestinal lining. 

I am 25 and I know I drank this tea in high school without feeling more discomfort than anyone else. Do you think it is safe for me to try? I know my diet is a little lacking in fiber these days because I am incredibly broke, but I do eat a bowl of oatmeal and eat an apple with the skin every single morning and often drink ginger tea. I don't want to feel bloated anymore :(

I'd recommend trying a magnesium supplement or liquid glycerin without any added stimulant before taking any type of stimulant laxative.  I was a big C sufferer, and I've found that for me those are the most effective without putting any harsh chemicals into my body.

Hope you feel better soon!!

I have been feeling bloated for about two weeks. I have the slightly protruding tummy that feels tight after I eat even a little meal. My sisters and my Mom (who have tested negative for celiac) drink Smooth Move tea when they feel this way, so I bought some. I know the tea is gluten-free but now I am reading that stimulant laxatives an cause cramping and damage to the intestinal lining. 

I am 25 and I know I drank this tea in high school without feeling more discomfort than anyone else. Do you think it is safe for me to try? I know my diet is a little lacking in fiber these days because I am incredibly broke, but I do eat a bowl of oatmeal and eat an apple with the skin every single morning and often drink ginger tea. I don't want to feel bloated anymore :(

Is your oatmeal gluten free oats???

Even gluten free oats may cause  problems  for some of us  especially early on .

Yes, they are Bob's Redmill certified gluten-free oats. I eliminated oats from my diet the first 6 months after my dx, then reintroduced them and had no problems. 

I'd recommend trying a magnesium supplement or liquid glycerin without any added stimulant before taking any type of stimulant laxative.  I was a big C sufferer, and I've found that for me those are the most effective without putting any harsh chemicals into my body.

Hope you feel better soon!!

The weird thing is that I am not C. I drink my cup of black tea in the morning and everything moves alone fine. Could it be a lactose issue? I feel like I may be a bit heavy on the dairy these days. I don't have money to buy anything else since I already spent $5 on fancy tea I probably can't drink and I am unemployed :/

I've taken Smooth Move tea on occasion (although not in quite some time) and never had an issue with it.  IMO (and I'm no doctor), it is not the same as taking a harsh, chemical stimulant.  It's all-natural herb ingredients that you would eat in other foods.  My suggestion would be to make a weak cup to try first.  And don't take it every day or in combination with other stimulants (ie. tea, coffee).