This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Acid Reflux And Ppi's

flowerqueen

Juliebove Rising Star

PPIs made my GERD worse and caused bad side effects. Now I take Carafate. Does not stop the GERD but form a coating to protect from damage. Also take the supplement D Limonene. I buy online. I used to have bad Barrett's Esophagus. I still have it but it's almost totally cleared up.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

flowerqueen Community Regular

PPIs made my GERD worse and caused bad side effects. Now I take Carafate. Does not stop the GERD but form a coating to protect from damage. Also take the supplement D Limonene. I buy online. I used to have bad Barrett's Esophagus. I still have it but it's almost totally cleared up.

That gives me hope to carry on. I'm surprised at the amount of people that say PPIs

make their reflux worse, bearing in mind that's what they are for. Thanks!

• 2 months later...
surviormom Rookie

Stupid question here, but why does my GI keep trying to force the PPI on me?  My husband is doing it now too.  The GI has convinced him it is the only way to help my Esophagus.  If there is a better way, shouldn't a doctor be on board?  This man claims to be an expert in Barretts, I think he is just an expert in collecting $$$.  Yes, I am looking for another doctor, but in the mean time, my husband is now believing him, and he wants me on 40 twice a day.  Does anyone know why the doctors that we are paying are not doing what is in our best interest?  I was doing fine when I was adding Betaine HCL, my husband had me go back to the PPI and boom, I am worse, go to the doctor, I am worse, oh I need more PPI.  Really!!!

GottaSki Mentor

Stupid question here, but why does my GI keep trying to force the PPI on me?  My husband is doing it now too.  The GI has convinced him it is the only way to help my Esophagus.  If there is a better way, shouldn't a doctor be on board?  This man claims to be an expert in Barretts, I think he is just an expert in collecting $$$.  Yes, I am looking for another doctor, but in the mean time, my husband is now believing him, and he wants me on 40 twice a day.  Does anyone know why the doctors that we are paying are not doing what is in our best interest?  I was doing fine when I was adding Betaine HCL, my husband had me go back to the PPI and boom, I am worse, go to the doctor, I am worse, oh I need more PPI.  Really!!!

So sorry to read this.

If you are worse and know the PPIs are not helping -- well, I will not tell you to go against your doctors orders.  However, I will say you know your body best -- not your doctor, nor your husband.  Keep looking for the correct solution for your body!

Wi11ow Apprentice

I've been on Pantoprazdole (PPI) for about 6 weeks now. Also tried Prilosex for 6 months, Zantac and some other prescription I can't remember, all for about the last year. The first 4 weeks on this one, helped, but didn't stop nausea or prevent vomiting a few times. I am still waiting for test results from biopsies done for Barretts and Celiac. I decided to stay on it at least that long and make a decision at that point. Maybe long to heal esophagus.

2 weeks ago, I went gluten, soy, dairy and egg free because I have tested positive for antibodies against all of that. I also avoided spicy, all alcohol and limited coffee.:(

I have had no nausea for the last week. Although I am on meds still, they weren't really working that well. I credit my change in diet. I have been looking for info to take to doc and argue for getting off the med and how to do that. Here is what I found.

Sorry, I lost link, but had this printed out, so I copied it... It's from NCIB

Here is what I found  from NCBI-

Anti-ulcer drugs promote IgE formation toward dietary antigens in adult patients.

Abstract

Recently, we have demonstrated that anti-ulcer drugs, such as H2-receptor blockers and proton pump inhibitors, promote the development of immediate type food allergy toward digestion-labile proteins in mice. The aim of this study was to examine the allergological relevance of these findings in humans. In an observational cohort study, we screened 152 adult patients from a gastroenterological outpatient clinic with negative case histories for atopy or allergy, who were medicated with H2-receptor blockers or proton pump inhibitors for 3 months. IgE reactivities to food allergens before and after 3 months of anti-acid treatment were compared serologically. Ten percent of the patients showed a boost of preexisting IgE antibodies and 15% de novo IgE formation toward numerous digestion-labile dietary compounds, like milk, potato, celery, carrots, apple, orange, wheat, and rye flour. Thus, the relative risk to develop food-specific IgE after anti-acid therapy was 10.5 (95% confidence interval: 1.44-76.48). The long-term effect was evaluated 5 months after therapy. Food-specific IgE could still be measured in 6% of the patients, as well as significantly elevated serum concentrations of ST2, a Th2-specific marker. An unspecific boost during the pollen season could be excluded, as 50 untreated control patients revealed no changes in their IgE pattern. In line with our previous animal experiments, our data strongly suggest that anti-ulcer treatment primes the development of IgE toward dietary compounds in long-term acid-suppressed patients.

surviormom Rookie

So sorry to read this.

If you are worse and know the PPIs are not helping -- well, I will not tell you to go against your doctors orders.  However, I will say you know your body best -- not your doctor, nor your husband.  Keep looking for the correct solution for your body!

I know what I need to do, but why do the doctors want to shove the PPIs down our throats.  A little humor there.  Does anyone know?  If they are not good for us, and there is a better way, why? 

Archived