Rate this topic

My three daughters and I have Celiac disease, as well as at least two of our grandchildren. I have been gluten-free for about 7years and my daughters have for about 3 years.  My oldest daughter, who has 4 children (two w/ celiac and we strongly suspect that the other two do as well), recently discovered Gluten Cutter.  She says it is the next best thing to sliced bread :wacko: and says she is 'beta' testing it by taking it and ingesting as much gluten as she can.  Beer, donuts, pizza.  You name it.  She says it works wonderfully well and has given it to the two known celiac children so that they can go back to eating the foods they love.  I tried to caution her that just because she is not actually feeling the ill effects of gluten, she is most definitely continuing to hurt herself and to do the same to her children and that the result could mean serious problems for her and her children for years in the future if not for the rest of their lives. Heavy sigh.... Curious to know what anyone else's experience with this miracle drug might be?

Gluten Clutter is simply digestive enzymes.  There are many formulas of digestive enzymes and some are marketed specifically for gluten.  While they may help some folks tolerate gluten...they DO NOT prevent the autoimmune reaction to the consumption of gluten in those with Celiac Disease.  I would imagine they will have symptoms return and will have elevated celiac antibodies at their next annual testing.

There are drugs currently in clinical trials that may make it safer for those with Celiac to ingest some gluten...as in eat out without having to worry about CC, but those are no where near available at this point.  There is currently no treatment for Celiac Disease other than complete adherence to the gluten-free diet.

Thought I'd add a couple links:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/tag/gluten-cutter

http://celiac.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/fast-factsv1.pdf

A quick search should provide more info if you need to convince your daughter.  I searched "gluten cutter celiac".

Good luck :)

My three daughters and I have Celiac disease, as well as at least two of our grandchildren. I have been gluten-free for about 7years and my daughters have for about 3 years.  My oldest daughter, who has 4 children (two w/ celiac and we strongly suspect that the other two do as well), recently discovered Gluten Cutter.  She says it is the next best thing to sliced bread :wacko: and says she is 'beta' testing it by taking it and ingesting as much gluten as she can.  Beer, donuts, pizza.  You name it.  She says it works wonderfully well and has given it to the two known celiac children so that they can go back to eating the foods they love.  I tried to caution her that just because she is not actually feeling the ill effects of gluten, she is most definitely continuing to hurt herself and to do the same to her children and that the result could mean serious problems for her and her children for years in the future if not for the rest of their lives. Heavy sigh.... Curious to know what anyone else's experience with this miracle drug might be?

Wow!  I was at the International Celiac Disease Symposium in Sept.  They spoke specifically about these OTC "gluten eating enyzmes".  The don't work.  There are some researchers developing one that is promising.  If she was in a real medical study, she wouldn't have extras to give others.  She would have to follow certain protocols and be seen by the researchers.

Is she getting these kids proper followup for Celiac?  Antibodies re-tested yearly?  Suggest she do that to prove that the GC is really helping.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/do-supplements-like-glutenease-offer-protection-against-accidentally-eating-gluten

Do supplements like GlutenEase (or Gluten Cutter, Digest Gluten Plus, Glutenase) offer protection against accidentally eating gluten?

We put no validity in these supplements. In fact, they may offer a false sense of protection when they provide no protection at all.

This is a good article that summarizes what I heard at the ICDS:

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/faqs/f/Digestive-Enzymes-Gluten.htm

More info on the study in the US.  

http://www.enhancedonlinenews.com/portal/site/eon/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20131029005347&newsLang=en&permalinkExtra=Celiac-disease/Alvine/ALV003

Edited by kareng

Thank you for the links and the information.  I carry GlutenEase with me, and take a couple when we eat out, as a 'just in case, it can't hurt and might help'.  After reading the articles, maybe I should save my money.  :blink:

Thank you for the links and the information.  I carry GlutenEase with me, and take a couple when we eat out, as a 'just in case, it can't hurt and might help'.  After reading the articles, maybe I should save my money.  :blink:

Digestive enzymes are a very good idea....my kids take them before eating out and I will when I am able to eat out again (other intolerances prevent me from eating in restaurants).  They can also be very helpful for folks that are healing and having a tough time with digesting food in general.

The danger for someone with celiac....is thinking digestive enzymes make it safe for direct consumption of gluten.

Maybe I should clarify on the new drug that is being tested.  The doctors working on it say that it is not so that we can eat gluten again.  It is for those times, like travel, when you must eat out and you try to get gluten-free but there might be a tiny amount of gluten.  Also, it must be taken with a carbonated drink to work best.

Thanks very much to all of you for your replies.  I can't believe the girl is actually drinking beer and eating pizza.  She is normally very health conscious.  An avid runner.  Was a Vegan for a while. Dairy Free for a while.  Her choice but hard to see her take the gluten away from two of the kids and then give it back.  They trust her to make reasonable decisions about their health.  I would have a very hard time taking a pill and then trusting to take that first big bite of pizza for fear that I would be sicker than a dog within 15 minutes.  Again, thanks very much for your responses and the related articles.

Ohhh my! I don't know If I could trust something like that. At least not without some scientific back up or studies or something. As interesting as it is but wow! 

I took a long telephone survey years ago (PAID, I might add) about a new medicine that was being marketed as a pill that would allow you to eat gluten occasionally or would lessen the repercussions of eating gluten. She kept asking me if I would take such a medicine and I kept saying, "Absolutely not, and if you market this to celiacs who then THINK they can be well by lessening gluten, I would think that might be criminal!!!"

I know a lady with celiac who takes gluten cutter when she gets glutened and claims it lessens the severity. I think she made that judgement after one use so I don't hold any merit to it.  It says on the box, prominently on the website etc that it is not for Celiacs.  What a shame for a parent to listen to misinformation and harm their child.

What astounds me is that my girl is an educator.  Apparently intelligent. She came to the conclusion that the children were most likely Celiac based on the fact that I am and that they all share the same symptoms with me, although not to quite the same severity and extent that I do. And to the fact that those symptoms disappeared when they removed gluten from their diet.  Also, they do not have the other autoimmune issues that I do.  The biggest tell for all of us is the bloat and particularly for the kids and grandkids, the horrible, peel-the-paint-off-the-walls gas.  Since my daughter has been using Gluten Cutter, she has been laughing at how terrible her gas is.  HELLO!  Tummy doesn't hurt sweetie, but you can still clear the room at twenty paces?  Oh yes, this MUST be the wonderful cure we have all been waiting for!!!  Yeesh!