buffysmed

Dulcolax ?

Rate this topic

Hi all,

I am new.

I am on my 7th gluten-free day. feeling really good, my symptoms are primarily gi related.  I had been feeling peppy and my belly was good. I noticed my BM were not what they should be, and I felt uncomfortable. So, being the wonderfully impatient girl I am, I got ducolox...which I have never taken before, I am reading in many places that it has gluten, and others that is does not......within 2 hours of taking it, boy oh boy....jeans unbuttoned and unzipped to accomadate belly bloat. extremely painfull belly pains and nausea... ick...hit me like a ton of bricks....that's when I googled the ducolox and started to suspect it.

I had no diarrhea , had a bm this am and then 2 more with urgency.   Now i have that awful gastritis, upper belly pain that I have come to know oh so well over the years.... I feel myself using my "tag words" to describe by pain..."pukey", "THE pain", "THE BAD one", "not a regular belly ache".

I want to curl in my fetal ball of comfort." Disappointed because was a non issue for the several days.

Could it be the ducolox? 

Thanks.

B. :)

Welcome Buffy!

I am not familiar with Ducolax, but do know that laxatives of any sort can be very tough on our tender digestive systems -- especially during the first weeks gluten-free.

The best thing to do is contact the manufacturer by phone or email when in doubt about any product.

Hope someone else knows whether it is gluten-free or not...but try to refrain from laxitive use -- drink lots of water, eat a diet of whole foods that includes enough fiber and things should start improving soon.

Hang in there :)

Hi B and Welcome to the Forum!

Dulcolax is not on the gluten-free drug list:  http://www.glutenfreedrugs.com/list.htm

You can always contact the manufacturer to double-check.

That said, I agree with GottaSki that laxatives can be too rough on your system until it heals - and once it heals, hopefully you won't need them.  I use Metamucil on a daily basis and have good luck with it - but it doesn't work for everyone and I think some find it too irritating for them.

Keep in mind too that you're only 1 week into this.  Don't be surprised if some of your symptoms resurface periodically while your body is healing.  It has a lot of work to do in there and it takes some time.

The gluten-free drug list is great. It can't possibly include every drug. The ingredients on regular ducolax look gluten-free. But it sounds like its too harsh for your system. You are only gluten-free for a week so, even if it had a teeny tiny amount of gluten, it probably wouldn't make any difference yet. You are eating differently and your system is healing. It may go thru periods of C and D as it tries to get back to normal. You may be eating more fiber or least fiber than your system is used to. You might be eating more protein, or fat or less of something than usual. All things that will naturally throw your GI system out of whack.

Hi B,

Sorry you're having a rough time.

I have a better idea for you if you have more trouble with having a BM in the future. Obviously letting nature take it's course is best, but if you absolutely can't go on your own and need something to help you go, avoid anything in pill or suppository form unless it's Senna tablets which are natural and work overnight, but check the box to make sure it's gluten free first. Any drug store has them. There is also a gluten free herb tea that has Senna in it called Smooth Move. You can find it at a health food store.

Other than that, the gentlest thing is a 4.5 oz saline enema you can buy at any drugstore. Some people, even MD's will say enemas are bad for you, but that is a myth. Any nurse or Naturopath will tell you that they are a harmless and gentle way to relive constipation. There are enemas prepared at home using a larger amount of water if the 4.5 amount doesn't work well enough. I have a lot of experience dealing with constipation, so if you need more information feel free to contact me.

Hope you feel better.

i like to consider myself well versed in constipation remedies  :lol: When I used to try and take Exlax pre-gluten free, it didn't relieve my C but instead it gave me super intense gas and curl around the base of the toilet pain which included nausea, but I don't think I ever actually threw-up.  Dulcolax used to be my go to, but it's always amazing to me how different people's bodies react in different ways to drugs.  I tried many stimulant laxatives before realizing gluten was my problem, and all I can suggest is stay far...far...away from them.  Instead I'm a big fan of magnesium and pure liquid glycerin.  

My wardrobe is full of shirts that have plenty of stomach room because being bloated makes me feel so unattractive.  I've always hated anyone having their hands anywhere near my stomach area for that reason.

I hope you feel better soon!