Rate this topic

Hello

I am new to this world of gluten intolerance and I was hoping some of you with more experience can help me with my test results. My Genova Diagnostics Celiac and Gluten Sensitivity results are as follows:

Total IgA 219

Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA <1.2 (negative)

Anti-deamidated Gliadin IgA 4 (negative)

Anti-Gliadin IgA 52 (strong positive)

Anti-Gliadin IgG 50 (strong positive)

The little interpretation chart points to gluten intolerance, not celiac but from what I gather from what I have read is that it could still possibly be Celiac. I have considered having the genetic testing but I'm unsure if I should since it is a considerable out of pocket expense and the treatment would be the same, a gluten free diet.

Also, I have a 5 year old daughter and made an appointment for her to have the saliva test done. Any experience with the reliability of this test, especially in young children? I can feed her gluten free at home but unfortunately, I am divorced and it would take a positive test to possibly convince my ex husband that a gluten free diet and even then I am worried that he won't take it seriously.

Any information or advice is hugely appreciated!

Thank you!

Rheanna

The AGA IgA and AGA IgG can indicate non celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS) but the tests have a specificity of 80-95% for celiac disease, so chances are good that the positive results are caused by celiac disease and not NCGS. This report is where I found the info (page 12): http://www.worldgastroenterology.org/assets/export/userfiles/2012_Celiac%20Disease_long_FINAL.pdf

I agree that if you want to know whether it is celiac disease or NCGS, then the endoscopy might be a good idea. Just be aware that doctors can miss the damaged spots - false negatives are possible although a minority.

Either result will result in the same treatment - 100% gluten-free diet for life. Hope you feel well soon.

The AGA IgA and AGA IgG can indicate non celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS) but the tests have a specificity of 80-95% for celiac disease, so chances are good that the positive results are caused by celiac disease and not NCGS. This report is where I found the info (page 12): http://www.worldgastroenterology.org/assets/export/userfiles/2012_Celiac%20Disease_long_FINAL.pdf

I agree that if you want to know whether it is celiac disease or NCGS, then the endoscopy might be a good idea. Just be aware that doctors can miss the damaged spots - false negatives are possible although a minority.

Either result will result in the same treatment - 100% gluten-free diet for life. Hope you feel well soon.

Thank you so much for this information. I found it very helpful. I have been on a gluten free diet for the last week and a half and I am ready feeling better. If I chose to ask my doctor for an ednoscopy, do I need to be eating gluten? I know I would need to for the blood tests but wasn't sure if it would be ok to do the endoscopy soon, while on a gluten free diet and have the endoscopy have the most accurate results as possible.

Thank you for your help!

You're welcome. :)

Yes, you have to be eating gluten for an accurate endoscopic biopsy. Most doctors seem to require a two week gluten challenge prior to testing but some advise eating gluten a month before testing. Talk to your doctor as soon as you can about the biopsy, but I am guessing that you will need to resume eating gluten soon if your test is in the near future.

Good luck.