This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone From Mesa. Az?

jrom987

jrom987 Apprentice

Hi! I'd love to meet people near me especially those who are new to this too. I have only been gluten-free for two weeks now. I know there is a support group in Phoenix but I was hoping for something smaller. I would love to get together with a few people and learn how to eat out. I am married, 46, love animals and crafts. We have three BIG dogs and 4 cats. I am a big scrapbooker and will try just about any craft out there. Jo Ann

• 3 months later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Virginiann Newbie
Hi! I'd love to meet people near me especially those who are new to this too. I have only been gluten-free for two weeks now. I know there is a support group in Phoenix but I was hoping for something smaller. I would love to get together with a few people and learn how to eat out. I am married, 46, love animals and crafts. We have three BIG dogs and 4 cats. I am a big scrapbooker and will try just about any craft out there. Jo Ann

I'm not from Mesa but I am in Arizona -- Peoria. There is yahoo group for celiac/az if you would like more information just let me know! This is my first post on here so I hope you get this. My name is Virginia.

mouse Enthusiast

I no longer live in Mesa. I did live near Baseline and Signal Butte until we downsized in June. We then moved to Gold Canyon, just East of Apache Junction. I have not been able to find a support group in the Mesa area. I have been gluten free for two years this coming Friday. If you do locate a support group, I would love to know. Where exactly do you live? Maybe we could meet for lunch at Pai Wai's which is on Val Vista, just south of 60. They have some gluten free options on their menu.

• 1 month later...
salledell Newbie

Hi!

I live in Mesa part-time. Just got back from there. I've been on gluten-free diet for just over three years and I don't mind it. The only thing is it's hard to keep from getting gluten inadvertently.

I was in Wendy's recently and noticed that the sour cream(or whatever) contained modified food starch. So now I avoid anything which might have sour cream.

I do love not having to deal with diarrhea, cramps, gaaas, and generally never knowing if I would be feeling okay or not when we are traveling or have something important going on.

I've found that I can eat the food at Tom's barbecue (no bun) on McKellips, and most Mexican food. I always go at odd times when they are not busy so I can have time to ask if there is any flour or wheat in the food.

I am 71 going on 40, married to a guy who is now convinced that HE has celiac, and we love cats but got tired of the humongous vet bills as our old cats spun out the last of their nine lives. Had dogs when the kids were young, and did the crafts, sewing, knitting, crochet bit B.C. Before computer.

I spent a lot of time on the computer looking up gluten related stuff at first.

Sally

• 7 months later...
MistressIsis Apprentice

I just moved to Rimrock and would love to find a group...maybe we can all meet ina central location.

Anyone been to the Bistro/Bakery in Phoenix?

• 3 weeks later...
Kibbie Contributor

I'm not from AZ anymore lived in Tempe most of my life... anyhow my parents and sister are still there so we visit often I was there in October and we visited Picazzo's Pizza and had a gluten free pizza and Cheese Cake that was TO DIE for! I'm so sad we don't have one here in Austin, Texas!

I just moved to Rimrock and would love to find a group...maybe we can all meet ina central location.

Anyone been to the Bistro/Bakery in Phoenix?

• 1 month later...
AZ Gal Apprentice

Hello,

I'm in Mesa with my two children. I scrapbook and have been gluten-free for about 1.5 years. I would love to get together. I'm a sane, single mom trying to be more social! I'd love to meet, talk about food/preparation/cooking/dining out, etc.!

I'll link these responses to my email, so email me if you would like to meet.

Erin

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kaciemarie Contributor

Hi Everyone! My name is Kacie and I live in Mesa and have been gluten free for about 1.5 years. I found quite a few places that are accomodating in the Phoenix area and would be happy to share them. My boyfriend also has Celiac Disease (that is how I found out I had it) so we have some knowledge between the 2 of us :). HAHA I am 26 years old, love animals, yoga and cooking.

• 2 years later...
wats24 Newbie
Hi Everyone! My name is Kacie and I live in Mesa and have been gluten free for about 1.5 years. I found quite a few places that are accomodating in the Phoenix area and would be happy to share them. My boyfriend also has Celiac Disease (that is how I found out I had it) so we have some knowledge between the 2 of us :). HAHA I am 26 years old, love animals, yoga and cooking.

I know this was an old post, but was curious as to the places around Phoenix you've found to be accomodating - not Outback :) - I'm in Mesa - hubby has Celiac. Would love to learn more locations to eat. Have a few myself and could share as well if you dont already have them.

• 1 month later...
campinggirl08 Newbie

Hi everyone,

I've found some gluten free menus at Chilis, Pei Wei and Rubios...think On the Border has one too. I'm very new to gluten-free (~2 weeks).

-Dee

campinggirl08 Newbie

p.s. anyone found a good place to get gluten-free foods? I'm not sure if my morning organic instant oatmeal is contaminated with gluten or not...would love to find a great place to shop.

• 2 weeks later...
Lady Donna Newbie

I am in New River...yes this is in AZ. I am east of Anthem, further into the mountains.

I LOVE the new Whole Foods in Scottsdale. (Off the 101 and Scottsdale Rd.) They have an entire shelf for gluten free foods. There are also gluten free items throughout the entire store. Love the Chicken tenders and nuggets. Trader Joes has gluten-free tortillas. They are a little dry but still good.

Pai-wei has a good gluten-free menu. So does Z-Tehas, (think I spelled that wrong), Carraba's, Chilis, Outback, maybe the thing to say is that the only place I have found without a gluten-free menu, and trust me we are writing ALOT, is Red Lobster. All you have to do is ask, talk to the chef and they will make you what you want! You can't rely on the waiter, I did that once and was sick for a week.

The best place is Picazzo's. They have pizza to die for!! And dessert. They are located thru out the valley.

Any questions, please ask!!

Lady Donna Newbie

Did all of you see the gluten-free food faire April 18th in Peoria? I am going to see what they have!!! I found it on the events directory.

Archived