BlessedMommy

Gluten Free Salvage Shopping

Rate this topic

I love going to bent and dent stores! We have a couple of good Amish run ones in my area and the finds there are amazing! Just for example, today, I found certified gluten-free instant oatmeal, gluten free granola for 89 cents a bag, etc.

It's pretty easy to feed gluten-free stuff to my non gluten-free eaters and thus keep a gluten-free house, when the gluten-free is cheaper than the regular! LOL! I found gluten-free crackers there for 99 cents a box, the only thing wrong with them was that the box was a little bent up. 

Mostly, we focus on naturally gluten-free foods like fresh fruits and veggies, beans, eggs, quinoa, etc. but when we want some treats or convenience foods, it's nice not to pay an arm and a leg for them.

I have found Tinkyada pasta at one of the salvage stores for less than $1 per bag and nothing was wrong with it. I'm guessing that some store discontinued carrying it and shipped it over.

I saw a whole display of Bob' Red Mill items at an Odd Lots store recently.  Prices were somewhat lower but not super low.  But it did surprise me to see it there.

I see Bob's things at Big Lots all the time. I buy my oatmeal there for a decent price. It isn't omg amazing but it's good enough that I don't ration my oatmeal the way I would if I bought it at health food store prices.

I buy my Bob's Red Mill certified oats in bulk--25 lb bags. 

I bought several things at an Amish bulk store this weekend.  I looked at 5 lb. bags of oatmeal, but I couldn't find where it was packaged and processed, so I didn't buy it.  Now, I'm concerned about several other things that I did buy as well - natural peanut butter, jelly, and sweet potato chips.  There's no labeling stating where it was processed or how it was handled.  Asking one of the workers is out of the question.  I asked for directions to the meat market (which was 4 mi. down the road), and was told she didn't know.  I got the same answer from another worker.  Unfortunately, with lack of info provided I guess I won't be able to shop there.  Have you had a similar experience?

I mostly shop at my wholesale/retail outlet for bulk items and only rarely buy Amish bulk anymore. When I did, I just read ingredient lists thoroughly, though I'm sure that approach carries a higher risk of CC than buying items only from a manufacturer that you trust.

The items that I was mainly referring to in my primary post were all mainstream gluten free brands that were dented or otherwise damaged in some way, thus making them a steal of a deal!

My wholesale/retail outlet sells Bob's Red Mill certified gluten-free oats in 25 pound bags for $55 and has many other deals as well, like 5 pound bags of whole teff, etc.