DoogiePCT

Trader Joes Non Gluten Free Salads- Could They Be Gluten Free Without Dressing?

Rate this topic

Hey all,

Thinking about how most trader joes salads are not gluten free, but looking at the ingredients on many of them (minus the dressing), they appear to be gluten free. For example, the chicken citrus salad without dressing has:

Grilled Chicken Breast (Boneless, skinless chicken breast with rib meat, water, Canola oil, modified potato starch, salt, sugar, granulated garlic, lemon juice concentrate, black pepper), Napa Cabbage, Green Papaya, Carrots, Daikon Radish, Lime Wedge, Green Onion, Red Cabbage and Cilantro.

Would it be safe to put my own gluten free dressing on that? All those above ingredients look safe except the modified potato starch, though they do not specify it is made with wheat, so I'm assuming thats safe. Thanks all!

If it looks like the dressing is sealed off pretty good I think you are fine tossing it and eating the veggies.  If there were croutons I would be more weary and look for crumbs.  But I have gotten, for example, a fruit and cheese snack plate on and airplane, and the crackers with it were well sealed so I tossed them and ate the other stuff.

14 hours ago, Diane Brady said:

is Trader Joe's chicken salad gluten-free?

You would need to read the ingredients.  While it could be gluten free per the ingredient list, is it manufactured on shared lines?  Is it on the TJ current gluten-free list?  If not, do not buy it.  Make your own.  There are cans of chicken that are label gluten free (or make fresh).  Add some Best Foods Mayo, celery, onions, and pepper.  Easy, fast and yummy.  Safe. That is the most important thing.