Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mloos5

Lizards As Pets?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

They typically eat meal worms, crickets, and various types of lettuce. I don't see any source of gluten in the lizard diet. They dust them with a calcium powder sometimes in stores to increase calcium intake because metabolic bone disease is common in lizards.

Make sure you have the right lighting setup - full spectrum lighting so you decrease the risk of metabolic bone disease. Bearded dragons make great pets. Sometimes people are concerned mostly about salmonella with reptiles. Wash your hands after handling them before eating.

I think a 14 year old would definitely be able to understand the advanced care of that kind of pet, and the whole "wash your hands after touching it" concept.  The only thing I can think of is, according to a quick google search, they live what seems to be 7-12 years in captivity so you may be stuck with it if she leaves home for college.  But at least it isn't a dog that will want attention all the time :)

I use to dragon sit. Can not say I whether I liked him or not. I did not like the stinky crickets (they really did stink!). Neighbor hooked up with a few other "parents" to purchase crickets in bulk. Good luck!

I was concerned about salmonella with having a lizard. And if she is at a higher risk because of the celiac. She is very responsible and would wash her hands after handling it. I know a person could contract salmonella from just about anywhere. I can't have her live on a bubble but I don't want to expose her to anything harmful either.

• Celiac.com Sponsor:

• Forum Discussions

Dear god yes lol, I have a corn allergy and the starch is hit miss if it triggers a reaction, but they could also be from rice, or tapioca....seriously they need to go the route of many shampoos/body washes that list the chemical/ingredient...
    since they just say "food starch" they could have made it from a cows arse for all i know. they need to just say what it comes from every time lol
    Here is the interpretation chart he sent me and yes I have 2 kids in which their pediatrician said they didn’t need to be tested unless they show symptoms which goes against everything I have read about symptoms being silent etc.... Is i...