sfc83

Digestive Enzymes Derived From Barley

Rate this topic

I recently tried Similase brand digestive enzymes by Integrative Therapeutics for 3 days on the advice of my physician, and recently found out that the maltase in this product is derived from barley. I spoke to the company, and they let me know that the product contains less than 20 ppm of gluten, but I wanted to see if anyone on this forum has reacted to this product. I have read some literature that barley based enzymes do not actually contain gluten (see below), due to the process by which the enzymes are derived. I am going to stop using this product regardless, but I am apprehensive to know if I have ingested gluten, and as a result, have weeks of suffering ahead.

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/glutenfreefoodshoppin1/f/FDA-Gluten-Free-Meaning.htm

http://www.doterraeveryday.com/product-qa/are-doterra-products-gluten-free-are-they-safe-for-use-and-consumption-by-those-with-celiac-disease-gluten-intolerance-and-gluten-sensitivity/

I can't vouch for the product, but personally wouldn't use it.  I won't even consume anything with wheat grass in it.  I know that it is the grain that we react to but, I just can't bring myself to do it. 

Hopefully you won't have any reaction or if you do it's mild.  My reactions to things can be hit or miss.  I've reacted badly from cross contamination , but recently when I accidently age a few bites of a rice dish that had wheat vermicelli in it I didn't react that bad.  I had a stomach ache for a few days. 

I agree with you that I wouldn't eat it.  Thanks for sharing as Integrative Technologies is a company whose products  I have used in the past and I often check their ingredients when purchasing supplements.  I constantly look for the supplements which I will tolerate the very best.  I haven't tried their enzymes.

D

I can't vouch for the product, but personally wouldn't use it.  I won't even consume anything with wheat grass in it.  I know that it is the grain that we react to but, I just can't bring myself to do it. 

Hopefully you won't have any reaction or if you do it's mild.  My reactions to things can be hit or miss.  I've reacted badly from cross contamination , but recently when I accidently age a few bites of a rice dish that had wheat vermicelli in it I didn't react that bad.  I had a stomach ache for a few days. 

Thank you for your reply, Roda. Hopefully, I do not have much of a reaction to this product.

I agree with you that I wouldn't eat it.  Thanks for sharing as Integrative Technologies is a company whose products  I have used in the past and I often check their ingredients when purchasing supplements.  I constantly look for the supplements which I will tolerate the very best.  I haven't tried their enzymes.

D

You're very welcome. It can be challenging to determine which products are gluten free. Sometimes, I think the safest bet is avoiding packaged products altogether.