This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Healing Expectations - Nausea

boocel

boocel Newbie

I was diagnosed and have been Gluten free for 2 1/2 weeks.

My only annoying symptom that hasn't subsided is bad nausea that comes and goes everyday. It seems to come a couple hours after eating, as well when my stomach is very empty and I haven't yet.

I've read on some posts that nausea isn't really a typical thing, which makes it extra frustrating.

I've been only eating non-processed foods, have been very careful about avoiding accidental cross contamination, and took all the proper steps to replace toasters/cookware/etc.

Is nausea really an uncommon thing? 

If others had this, can I expect this to go away any time soon, because it's pretty debilitating.

Thanks!

Newbie Celiac

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

West Coast Canuck Rookie

I'm a recent addition to the club too (almost 3 months). I did not have any problems with nauseau, but a lot of bloating and throbbingof the gut area. Symptoms got a lot better within a few weeks of going gluten-free. Also have had some reactions to food allergies.

I've been told by both a dietician and fellow celiacs that healing of the gut can take anywhere between a few months up to a year or two. Also was advised to proceed cautiously with any food allergies, even mild ones. Getting tested for allergies might be an idea, as many celiacs have problems that way.

All the best, and hope you continue to heal.

w8in4dave Community Regular

I would look into other food allergies, also your condiments ,spices, other stuff your cooking utensils , Cutting boards?? Maby Lactose , or Corn intolerance ? ? Just simple suggestions :) 

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

You may want to try keeping a food diary.  Eat simple foods for a few days that are highly unlikely to be an allergen - maybe foods you don't typically eat.  See if you can pinpoint a specific trigger.  Also, take it easy on raw veggies and too much roughage - your gut is healing and needs to be treated delicately until it has a change to repair.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Time.......lots of it. Tough it out for a few more weeks to a month. I only had nausea when I had gallbladder issues. Work on the celiac issue first. One thing at a time. Did you read the newbie section? It contains valuable tips as the others have suggested.

West Coast Canuck Rookie

One thing at a time....isn't that the truth.

3 months ago when diagnosed, doctors gave me no idea what to expect, just don't eat gluten they advised.  So when I went gluten-free I figured I had the celiac issue figured out.  It wasn't until I started visiting these online forums that I realized how long the intestines take to heal.

In addition to food allergies, my gut is really sensitive to mild spices, second hand smoke, too much wine....anything on the strong side.  Slow and easy works, introducing only one new food at a time.

moosemalibu Collaborator

Nausea isn't that uncommon, I think. I had that as a symptom (in conjunction with others). It took about 2 months for my nausea to really subside. Be patient and keep with the diet. Whole foods tend to be best for the newly diagnosed. Also I know I had a hard time digesting even veggies so preparing them pureed can be helpful with digestion. Many take probiotics and digestive enzymes as well...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Quaylern Rookie

I cut out gluten 3 1/2 weeks ago and I've had nausea and headaches off and on. The nausea is mild but it totally reminds me of morning sickness but I know I'm not pregnant. I'm hoping I'm getting close to the end of the headaches and nausea.

boocel Newbie

Thank you all so much for the help.

@moosemalibu...Your suggestion for pureed foods seemed to really do the trick! I feel tons better eating really soft/pureed foods. Split pea soup has been a god send. Wish I knew this earlier.

I also started a food diary and will be getting allergy tested early next week.

Thanks again everybody!

moosemalibu Collaborator

Thank you all so much for the help.

@moosemalibu...Your suggestion for pureed foods seemed to really do the trick! I feel tons better eating really soft/pureed foods. Split pea soup has been a god send. Wish I knew this earlier.

I also started a food diary and will be getting allergy tested early next week.

Thanks again everybody!

Glad to hear that it has helped! :)

• 2 weeks later...
cayrien Newbie

Is nausea really an uncommon thing? 

If others had this, can I expect this to go away any time soon, because it's pretty debilitating.

I believe nausea is actually quite common. I also believe when it goes away/how long you need to be gluten free for before it does/etc is very individual, as, are most of our symptoms :) For me, prior to going gluten free/my endoscopy, I was getting nauseous and having ridiculous abdominal pain several times a day. It was to the point that I'd have bile rise up my throat, but, I'd never vomit. After going gluten free, it took two days for my nausea to disappear. I don't necessarily think it's related to the amount of intestinal damage you possess (my test results were pretty bad/high), more likely individual makeup and genetics. Supposedly 70% of people feel better after two weeks on a gluten free diet (according to some literature I was given from my physician). 

Additionally, I'm not sure if anyone mentioned, dairy, in some people with celiac disease, can elicit a glutened-type response. Some people suggest to refrain from dairy until you've healed a bit and then try to put it back into your diet. But again, not every celiac has issues with dairy.

Anyhow!

WIth any luck it'll go away soon :)

beth01 Enthusiast

I am so happy I found this website.  I was just diagnosed on Monday, today being Friday so I am new to this also. It is so overwhelming!  I glutened myself yesterday and ended up in the ER. Not sure how I did or if it is just residual pain from the big old bowl of shredded wheat I ate the day before my diagnosis not even thinking that I was going to be positive for Celiac. My friend just came to my house and removed about $200 dollars worth of groceries and my toaster, was rather depressing seeing all the things I can't eat anymore but made me feel better knowing that all the things that make me sick are no longer here.  It's just such a whirlwind of emotions right now.

GottaSki Mentor

Welcome Beth!

Not to worry...it gets much better :)

Take a look at this thread if you haven't -- it provides great information to give you a bit of a fast forward through the learning curve:

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/

beth01 Enthusiast

I have read the newbie thread and am grateful for the wealth of information I have found on this site.  I would have never thought of things such as my boyfriend or kids getting me if they kiss me or my toothpaste and mouthwash. It is amazing to me the amount of things that have gluten in them that a week ago wasn't of consequence to me. I also have so many questions.  I at least don't have to wait months like other have to get into see a nutritionist, I have the appointment on Monday.  Is just a relief to know that the last 20+ years of nausea, vomiting, headaches, that awful D word(followed by the awful C word when the D has passed), joint pain, the arthritis in my spine, overall body aches and pains are all explained by what I have been putting in my mouth and not all in my head which is what I think the doctors were starting to point to.  As of Monday I have lost 143 pounds in the last three years ( was obviously overweight) but I now weigh less than I did in high school. Hopefully now is all uphill with a few( not many) downhill slides :)

• 2 weeks later...
Nicole Thomas Newbie

Before going gluten free, I had nausea and horrible abdominal pain multiple times a day. It took weeks for that nausea to pass. However, in that time, I had a few tests done and found I had gallbladder disease as well as ovarian cysts which could be causing the nausea/pain as well.

That said, when I get CC or accidentally glutened, the nausea and pains return just as bad as they were before.

It could be an underlying issue for you, but like others have said, take care of the gluten issue first, then look into others.

Archived