ItchyAbby

Is There Anything To Help The Effects Of Getting Glutened?

Rate this topic

My 6 year old nephew just got glutened and my sister is asking if there is anything she can do to help his system. His symptoms are mainly behavioral, if that helps at all.

I have heard lots of anecdotes about digestive enzymes, even tequila, so I thought I would check in to see what you all do when you get gluten and what works for you.

There's nothing I know of that makes it go away.  Plenty of rest, water, and mild foods seem to be best.  I think the mild, easily digested foods are important even if there are no visible digestive symptoms, because the gut has still been irritated by the gluten (but that's just me hypothesizing).  Unfortunately, it's a bit like getting food poisoning or the flu bug.  You can do things to make it a little easier on your body, but you pretty much have to let it run its course.

Good luck.  It must be really hard to watch a child go through this.  And I'm sure dealing with behavioral symptoms is no picnic either.

We took digestive enzymes with every meal during the early days -- now my teens just carry them with them -- one takes when he eats out of the home -- the other just takes if he feels uncomfortable after a meal.

Lots of water and rest -- I hope he is feeling better very soon :)

Cuddling up in bed with a hot water bottle on the stomach helps me.  The behavioural issues are difficult.  It helps to understand their origin.  You can then tell yourself that so and so isn't really trying to be so irritating, it just seems that way because of the glutening.  This is hard for a 6 year old.  For now, there will be much need for patience on your sister's part.