shirleytx

5 Days Into Gluten Free Diet

Rate this topic

I have a long history of digestive issues, gerd, esophageal regurgitation, and have EDS type 3. I started a gluten free diet 5 days ago. The first 48 hours my lower gut seemed less bloated and I felt less foggy but now I feel pretty rough to be honest. I have a pounding headach in my forehead, and have been having more trouble sleeping. Is this in the realm of normal detoxing as it were coming off gluten?

I can do this and cope with most things if I know there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Yes, you are going through gluten withdrawal. Headaches, mood swings, constant hunger are common. It only lasts two to three weeks. Hang in there! :)

What bartfull has said... ditto! Gluten withdrawal is real and it sucks! You will feel very sluggish and have a feeling like you cannot ever be full but it will pass. Keep it up - there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Good to know, I had no idea you could have withdrawal from gluten.

Yes - and the mood swings for me were almost as bad as the mood swings when I get glutened. I get celiac angry.. it's incredible the change in personality. It's a funny thing.

Yes - and the mood swings for me were almost as bad as the mood swings when I get glutened. I get celiac angry.. it's incredible the change in personality. It's a funny thing.

Yeah, now that we know it is likely celiac my wife says that now that she thinks of it I do get gumpy when I eat too many carbs. She thought maybe I was getting diabetic or something but it probably just happened that a lot of those carbs had gluten in them. :)

I sort of "jumpstarted" the gluten elimination the day before the scopings (both ends).  I haven't consumed gluten since, and perhaps the Movi-Prep drink to empty the colon did something to detox my system?   I didn't have a bm for 6 days after the scopings, and my glucose readings were high (for no reason, except I think the Movi-Prep), but I'm becoming more "regular" and my glucose readings are returning to "normal" for me.  I hope to get them lower.

I have no cravings. That, and becoming more "regular" are what I notice the most.  

I wonder if anyone else gave up the gluten in the same fashion, and if having "Elvis leave the building" via Movi-Prep eased withdrawal?