CajunChic

I Just Want To Fuss!

Rate this topic

I was going to post on Facebook my frustration, just for support, but remembered I'm the only celiac I know! I find it so frustrating that I watch every morsel of food that goes in my mouth. Then sit for a "gluten-free" meal in a restaurant and get to be sick for a week! I hate that one half of a meal gets to dictate how I feel for the rest of the week! I sure wish they'd invite me in their kitchen to help clarify a few things.... Ok rant over!

After all that, however, I'm grateful for a diagnosis : ) at least I KNOW what's happening.

I hear you.  Not being able to safely eat out has been the hardest part of this to deal with for me.  There are things you can do to make it "safer" but there's no way to be truly safe unless they are certified gluten free and actually know what they're doing.  I just try to keep reminding myself that the trade off is that I get to be healthy.  And kick osteopenia's butt.  :)

Yeah that's why I don't go out to eat until I'm feeling better. Of course when I tell "normal" people that, their faces drop with incomprehension. There is so much chance of cross contamination in restaurants. I don't trust the people that work there to be careful. They're busy, and they don't get that a knife that just cut a sandwich is no longer a gluten free knife no matter what you may have ordered.

There are places that people have had good luck with, certain restaurants take it pretty seriously. It is really hard to be different. A lot of people have no idea what it's like to have to think about everything that goes in your mouth. I miss those days too.

I have found a couple of restaurants I feel safe in , I know! I am lucky in that respect! I am also lucky I have friends who support me! They are always inviting us over, letting me know what they are making and ask me if I can eat it. I usually say you make what ever you want I will bring something. They are ok with that! I am so afraid of being CC'd ! So I bring a small main dish and a side. :) It's all good!