Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Celiac Mindwarp

Paleo Diet, High Histamine Issues?

Hi

not been around for a while, and wondered if you had any ideas on this.

I am NCGI, gluten-free for 18 months, and all going pretty well. I need to lose some pounds, and have started back on a paleo Whole30 type diet. I did this successfully for about 6 months previously, but let the old gluten-free junk food creep back in and put back 20 of the 50 pound I lost.

I tried doing it again before Christmas, and was sick (V) a couple of times, and ended up with rice and potatoes back in my diet. Then the rubbish crept back in again.

I started again 3 weeks ago, 1st week was fine, then was sick 10 days ago, and sick again today.

I kinda feels like the food I am eating is too rich - meat, fish, eggs, veggies, fruit. I am eating lots of root veggies, sweet potatoes, parsnips especially.

I know a few people found they had histamine problems eating this way.

Do you think it could be this? Anyone got any other ideas?

I thought it might be a bug, but it is so similar to the sickness I got within the 1st 2-4 weeks last time I tried paleo, it got me thinking

Thanks

Mindwarp

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

That's interesting about the histamines. I'm sorry you're having such trouble with your diet. Like we don't have enough issues as it is with

gluten/dairy.   

I am still a gluten-free "newb" (NCGI triggered in January) so I don't have the answer, but I found this article which explains how histamines work and where they occur in foods etc.  Have you considered doing a food journal and easing back into Paleo? That way you could see if it's a certain type of protein/paleo food that makes you hurt...

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2013/06/teaser-excerpt-from-the-paleo-approach-histamine-intolerance.html

Bummer...I hate hearing that you are having trouble with the foods you added back.

You can tell pretty quickly if you are having histamine food issues...you can remove them for one week and then reintroduce...for me I had huge reaction to avocado back during the great elimination of 2011 and had no idea why -- fast forward to all this histamine/mast cell non-sense and it all makes sense.

There is a mast cell activation / histamine intolerance thread that Irish started....I'll go find and bring the link back ;)

I'm back...here's the link:

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/105835-mast-cell-activation-syndrome-mcas/?hl=mcas

• Celiac.com Sponsor:

• Forum Discussions

Dr. Should be reported to the appropriate board in your state.  AFTER, you have new doc in place.
    Thats interesting.What do you take for your gout ? I tried both uloric (febuxostat) and allopurinol and couldn't tolerate either . (In fact, I suspect allopurinol to one of the causes of my neuropathy alongwith gluten). I am trying to control...
    I don't know about IGA being below normal. In my case, the Demidated Gliadin IGG was above normal (almost by 5 times) . This is only tested as a part of the celiac panel tests. I have been gluten free for about 4 months now. I have noticed...