Mary Ann250

New To This And Very Confused

Rate this topic

I live with my daughter and her family   and can't have  a glunten free kitchen and not sure if it need be . Meals are ruff at times  as thier family not glunten free  I do have support  which helps  and she does cook thing I am able to have I can't really afford to go out and buy all kind of appliance need  I am on fix income The food so expesive and glad it only myself I have to buy for     Mary Ann

Toasters, and damaged plastic or wooden utensils or cooking tools (like a collander) are the only items that you really need to be careful of.  I would be more worried about contaminated butter, mustards, jams, peanut butters, sugar and other baking ingredients.  Those things can become contaminated too easily to share with others. You may need a small space to store your own safe foods.

It takes a while to get a kitchen sorted out, but it can be worth it in the end.  :)

Hi Mary Ann and Welcome!

Don't feel like you have to buy all of the gluten free varieties of all of the foods you used to eat.  For example, just because you used to eat bread doesn't mean you have to now eat gluten free bread.  If you stick with whole foods that are naturally gluten free (i.e. veggies, meat, fruit, dairy if you can tolerate dairy) it doesn't need to be expensive.  And Nicole is right - you don't need all of your own appliances, cookware, dishes, eating utensils, or even plastic containers.  But you definitely need your own butter, mayo, etc. - anything that gets dipped back into with a knife that could have gluteny crumbs on it.