This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutening Myself And So Upset

livinthelife

livinthelife Apprentice

I'm so mad at myself. Furious. I could kick myself.

My followup bloodwork came back today and my ttg igg was almost as bad as it was the first time. First time it was 9.5 and now it's only 9.2. This is in addition to vitamin/mineral deficiencies. It's been four months since diagnosis.

I cried because I've been so crazy careful. New cookware, new everything including shampoo, mouthwash, dogwood and just every darn thing I could think of to change. For three months I felt great and then in the last month took a crazy turn for the worse. Tired, foggy, lots of unexplained D/nausea/cramps. The whole deal. Very upsetting. 

Flashback to yesterday when I grabbed my usually Nature's Valley probiotic. I kept meaning to switch to a "better" one but never did because I eat lots of yogurt and, well, I have no other excuse. I read the label and it said WHEAT. That was odd, so I got a better one because I figured they'd change the formula. That was that.

Soooooo, today I got my new results and was so upset and couldn't figure out what the heck happened. That's when it occurred to me to read the back of my empty probiotic bottle. Yep. Wheat. I've been glutening my own damn self for a month. It's almost funny except it's not quite yet. I'm positive it's never said wheat before. Must be a change. I could scream at myself for not reading the label last month. Hard lesson but a good one.

I've rechecked every supplement, all my meds and reread every label in this house like a crazy lunatic. And then I poured a huge glass of wine.

Always check, every single time. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

glutenfreeliac Collaborator

Glass of wine? Check?

Don't be too hard on yourself. Or, learn from yourself. I remember, a couple of weeks after my last bite of gluten, helping myself to a lunch I thought was safe. Due to this stress and the other, I made big assumptions. Or maybe I wasn't thinking at all. All I remember is looking at my plate and realizing I was eating chips made from flour tortillas. Glutening myself in the most stupid way. 

I deserved the rest of the afternoon, where my skirt felt like it was three sizes too small (hey, bloating!, first symptom to manifest).

Yeah, you have to be careful ALL THE TIME. 

cyclinglady Grand Master

It happens.  Believe me, it happens.  I was lucky that most of my dumb mistakes affected my husband.  By the time my diagnosis rolled around, I had the gluten-free diet and label reading down.  I was the gluten police!  Which is bad, because my husband is not that careful still after 13 years!  Yikes! 

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

Wine.  One of the few things you can trust implicitly without having to read the label.  :)

Why in bloody hell do they have to put %$@# WHEAT in probiotics in the first place??  :angry:

IrishHeart Veteran

4 months is not a long time for your levels to go down anyway. I am not even sure why the doctor tested you so early.They usually wait 6 months.

Stop worrying about it, hon. It's an honest mistake! It's going to be okay.

We have all made mistakes. 

Just a thought: Jebby ( aka Jess--who is  both a doctor and a celiac) and I really like Florajen3 ....good probiotic. 

Hang in the there.  Enjoy the wine and really, just go forward from here. No worries now.  ;)

livinthelife Apprentice

4 months is not a long time for your levels to go down anyway. I am not even sure why the doctor tested you so early.They usually wait 6 months.

Stop worrying about it, hon. It's an honest mistake! It's going to be okay.

We have all made mistakes. 

Just a thought: Jebby ( aka Jess--who is  both a doctor and a celiac) and I really like Florajen3 ....good probiotic. 

Hang in the there.  Enjoy the wine and really, just go forward from here. No worries now.  ;)

Now the doctor plans to retest in three more months and I'm supposed to take more zinc and D since those are below normal. A and ferritin also low but he didn't say to supplement those any more than I already am with my multi-vitamin. I also take sublingual B12 and also calcium (that has magnesium and zinc), so I have no idea what all is going on except that my intestines just aren't healed at all yet. More baby steps.

Here's a question: Is there a *better* brand of vitamin that's more easily absorbable than whatever I grab at the drugstore? 

Thank you for the probiotic. I'll look for it. 

IrishHeart Veteran

Now the doctor plans to retest in three more months and I'm supposed to take more zinc and D since those are below normal. A and ferritin also low but he didn't say to supplement those any more than I already am with my multi-vitamin. I also take sublingual B12 and also calcium (that has magnesium and zinc), so I have no idea what all is going on except that my intestines just aren't healed at all yet. More baby steps.

Here's a question: Is there a *better* brand of vitamin that's more easily absorbable than whatever I grab at the drugstore? 

Thank you for the probiotic. I'll look for it. 

Your intestines aren't healed yet, hon, but they will. 

How much zinc and D did the doc say to take? You need to know. Zinc needs to be taken in small doses for a short time in conjunction with minerals. Otherwise, you can develop a copper def.

Long-term consumption of zinc in excess of the tolerable upper intake level (40 mg/day for adults) can result in copper deficiency

I just heard Anne Lee, RD speak about this at a conference in Orlando. She said point blank, no ravaged gut can absorb anything really well.

and supplementing anything beyond the recommended daily average is pointless, unless you have been given a prescription strength dose of something like folate or D, etc.for a specific deficiency.

But if you want a good multivitamin to  try, a certified gluten-free balanced one with vitamins and minerals is Country Life.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

livinthelife Apprentice

He said supplement with 600-800 of D and 125 of zinc sulfate. I've been taking a multi vitamin with 100% of both for years and also I take calcium which has magnesium and and D3 (100%). D and zinc were the only two "officially" under levels and a couple of others were low normal but he didn't say anything about them (A and ferritin).

I think I need a nutrition for dummies book at this point. The more I think I learn, the less I know. 

Can you recommend a great book or web resource? 

IrishHeart Veteran

He said supplement with 600-800 of D and 125 of zinc sulfate. I've been taking a multi vitamin with 100% of both for years and also I take calcium which has magnesium and and D3 (100%). D and zinc were the only two "officially" under levels and a couple of others were low normal but he didn't say anything about them (A and ferritin).

I think I need a nutrition for dummies book at this point. The more I think I learn, the less I know. 

Can you recommend a great book or web resource? 

125 what.... of zinc?

the recommended amount of zinc per day is  8 mg

the "upper" amount for adults is 40 mg

if your D is low...the amount to dose varies from 1000 ius per day to 5ooo ius per week  depending on your level.

you shouldn't just dose these things without guidance, hon.

livinthelife Apprentice

I am so glad I posted this here! I wonder if I misheard him about the zinc and he said 25 and not 125? Gotta be?

I'm already taking 800 of D so he's adding 600-800 more. That sounds more workable. 

THANK YOU!

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

I've been taking a multi vitamin with 100% of both for years and also I take calcium which has magnesium and and D3 (100%).

Just wanted to add that if you have Celiac and were ingesting gluten (prior to diagnosis) then you haven't really been taking these vitamins that long.  Well... not absorbing them, anyhow.  My point is - don't be too hard on yourself and your body.  It hasn't been able to take full advantage of the food and supplements you've been feeding it because of the inflammation and villi damage.  It needs time to heal.

Archived