CaliSparrow

Celiac Disease Or Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity?

Rate this topic

I thought this part of the study was interesting. It brings to light how some people can go gluten-free except for their beer and they still feel better. I'd like to read more studies on Celiac vs NCGS.

"Whereas celiac disease subjects should maintain a lifelong, strict GFD and limit their exposure to gluten to foods containing less than 20 parts per million (13,14,15) NCGS subjects can be more liberal and titrate their exposure to gluten as needed to avoid symptoms."

http://ajgastro.gastrolib.be/ajg/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/ajg201441a.html

I think it depends on how sensitive the NCGS person is. I think there are a few here that are pretty sensitive. 

I think it depends on how sensitive the NCGS person is. I think there are a few here that are pretty sensitive.

At this point, I've not yet read something that was inclusive of everyone. There are too many variables. Most articles I've read discuss the impossibility of differentiating between the two by symptoms alone. My husband also reacts but it's a three-day affair that doesn't bowl him over like it does me. He is not as sensitive but he couldn't just eat limited amount of gluten and who is to say who has what without going through testing that has it's own set of challenges. I also have a friend who has DH and she cheats occasionally. This has bothered me but I wonder if (hope) she'd be okay in doing that. She itches if she's had gluten more than once in a few day's time and knows how much she can get away with eating. The articles I've read contradict each other about DH. I read one once that put it as a separate gluten-related disorder than Celiac or NCGS. Others classify it under one or the other. It's interesting to me how much changes as research continues on in this area. I have to check the dates when I read a study or article. The doctors and researchers in this field must never be bored.

I've never been able to square away how some people can reduce gluten intake (not eliminate it) and feel better just from reducing it.

I think some of this depends on why you are NCGI.  Researchers are currently looking at lots of different reasons for it.  A big one they have found is FODMAPS.  Because wheat is a high FODMAP food, eliminating it makes many people's GI symptoms better.  These people can actually eat wheat but they must balance it with other high FODMAP foods.  So, for these people, a few wheat crumbs from taking a burger off a bun isn't a big deal.

Something for you to google and look into.  Just pick reputable websites - like medical centers - for your info.

I also have a friend who has DH and she cheats occasionally. This has bothered me but I wonder if (hope) she'd be okay in doing that. She itches if she's had gluten more than once in a few day's time and knows how much she can get away with eating. The articles I've read contradict each other about DH. I read one once that put it as a separate gluten-related disorder than Celiac or NCGS. 

The leading celiac centers say DH IS Celiac .Period....and she is just putting herself at risk for serious complications. Shes not getting away with anything. If she has active lesions, she is in full autoimmune flare up from eating gluten. Those take up to 2 years to die down.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/can-celiac-disease-cause-watery-blisters-on-the-skin

You need to read articles from celiac centers for the correct info. 

The leading celiac centers say DH IS Celiac .Period....and she is just putting herself at risk for serious complications. Shes not getting away with anything. If she has active lesions, she is in full autoimmune flare up from eating gluten. Those take up to 2 years to die down.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/can-celiac-disease-cause-watery-blisters-on-the-skin

You need to read articles from celiac centers for the correct info.

I do but I'm pretty sure I was hoping that wasn't the case and sought to find info that countered it. I guess that doesn't work... that's depressing. She is very active in life and believes confirmation bias & planting that seed can cause dis-ease ---> disease. Oh well. If there's an opening in the conversation at some point, I'll slide it in, otherwise I'll just be wasting my energy. She doesn't want to know about it.

It was a medical website that listed it as separate but I guess the Celiac centers would be the most reliable resource. Really I've categorized resources as primary, secondary and tertiary but I guess the Celiac centers would be "expert/primary". Thanks for pointing out the distinction.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/why-do-you-insist-i-eat-gluten-for-a-diagnosis-when-i-feel-better-on-a-gluten-free-diet

"Five reasons exist as to why someone might feel better on a gluten-free diet. It’s crucial to understand which of the five is the cause in order to implement a safe dietary program....."

I think some of this depends on why you are NCGI.  Researchers are currently looking at lots of different reasons for it.  A big one they have found is FODMAPS.  Because wheat is a high FODMAP food, eliminating it makes many people's GI symptoms better.  These people can actually eat wheat but they must balance it with other high FODMAP foods.  So, for these people, a few wheat crumbs from taking a burger off a bun isn't a big deal.

Something for you to google and look into.  Just pick reputable websites - like medical centers - for your info.

Thanks for that. I just read about the FODMAPS connection last night but not on a medical website. That is good to know!