This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Chef In Regular Restaurant?

TCH01

TCH01 Newbie

Not sure if this is the best place to post my question, but my teenage, celiac daughter wants to take culinary arts in school.  Is it likely that those with celiacs can be in a bakeshop, breathing in wheat flour, etc, obviously sticking to her gluten-free diet, but will it affect her health if she is living and breathing in a non-gluten-free kitchen surrounded by non-gluten-free students and flour being sifted and floating in the air?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

some  people  are  not  very sensitive  but  for  others  that  would  be  a  disaster for  their  health.... There are  schools  for  gluten free  who  wish  to become  chefs....flour  can  stay  airborne  for over  four  hours...High Schools make  students  take  auto  repair  & cooking (  both  genders) in our  area... our  kids  being  gluten-free had  to  have  the  cooking  class  first  period , first  semester  in a  clean out   space  about  the size  of a  small closet...two  other  students  volunteered  to also  cook  with gluten-free  flours  making the  exact  items the  regular  students had to make...

kenlove Rising Star

I lecture and teach in our culinary school and cannot go into the kitchen for 3 days after the bread class. It is a degree of sensitivity. There are some alternative health care schools affiliated with culinary schools and online schools where this would not be a problem. 

As it is now at our school, the bread class is at teh end of the day so others who are sensitive are not affected. Just super-sensitives like me. 

If the school went to all  gluten-free flour that would be really great and it  would also position the school in a leadership role nationwide.  Check with the local american CUlinary Federation chapter for ideas too. good luck

Not sure if this is the best place to post my question, but my teenage, celiac daughter wants to take culinary arts in school.  Is it likely that those with celiacs can be in a bakeshop, breathing in wheat flour, etc, obviously sticking to her gluten-free diet, but will it affect her health if she is living and breathing in a non-gluten-free kitchen surrounded by non-gluten-free students and flour being sifted and floating in the air?

Thanks!

Archived