Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

BlessedMommy

Temporarily Bringing Gluten Into A Gluten Free Kitchen--Help Me Think This Through

Rate this topic

My hubby and I are having a combined birthday party, because our birthdays are 4 weeks apart. Hubby and I would like a pizza party.

However, it would be a lot cheaper and easier if I could provide regular pizza for the gluten eaters.

But recently I've converted my kitchen to gluten free. If someone gives something glutenous to hubby, my normal practice is to have him bag it immediately and remove it from the house, eating it only at work.

Would there be any CC issues if I brought in frozen regular pizza, quickly baked it in my oven, and then removed it and put it outside, serving all the food on disposable plates and with disposable utensils?

I call my MIL and my inlaws are fine with bringing all the regular pizza, which makes it a moot point.  :) It's nice not to have to worry about it! After converting my kitchen to gluten-free, it feels like bringing in a biohazard! LOL!  :P

I'm glad we could help!!  LOLOLOL!!!

I came home today from out of town to a Domino's box on the counter. He says he cleaned up then he said he'd put his poison pizza away!  :rolleyes:  

LOL! We ate breakfast at a friend's house when we ending up staying over at their house unplanned and as I ate (I had carefully made scrambled eggs prepared by me on a rewashed stainless steel pan and some fresh and canned fruit) my friend quipped as he pointed to his cereal boxes, "These cereals might as well be labelled "Shredded Death" and "Nutty Casket." (Shredded Wheat and Nutty Nuggets)

LOL! It's good to have a friend that "gets" the seriousness of avoiding gluten.

We cook frozen gluten pizza in our oven ( I have an 18 & 20 yr old). No big deal. Pizza doesn't jump off the pan onto another pan. We order gluten pizza and they eat it at the table. Once again..it's not jumping around.

Karen is right, but when you are newly diagnosed, keeping gluten out of your house helps with any anxiety you may have (and so many of us had anxiety when we were really sick) and prevents any possibility of getting glutened and setting you back. When you feel better and confident, then you can relax your new standards.

That's my two cents!

I'd like to point out, as I have a gluten eating husband who eats enough pizza to feed a small country every year, that there are places that offer online deals when you order pizza that make it as cheap as buying frozen pizzas. Check around and see what's in your area and what deals are current, you may find a lot of $5-7 per pizza deals or if you're getting a lot a store manager may be willing to offer a special deal. Since a frozen pizza that doesn't taste like total crap is $4-6 we almost always just order out for him since it's a buck not to make it ourselves and the quality difference is very noticeable.

Also, while Karen is totally right, there is also more than one way to cook a frozen pizza. Many recommend cooking them on the oven rack, which is something that won't be happening in my kitchen when I have a gluten-free one. It's also the best way to get a good crust on one. After we have a gluten-free kitchen will be the death of frozen pizza for my husband. Too bad for him.