tpain

Celiac Vs. Non Celiac Intolerance

Rate this topic

If someone has non celiac gluten intolerance, do they get faster results with removing gluten? I'm just trying to figure out whether someone without villi damage would recover quicker. Since there is little to no damage, isn't it just the time it takes for the allergic response to stop? Or am I wrong? I have read that there is a half life of antibodies, but again that is only in people with celiac.

Thanks

Non-celiac gluten intolerance (NCGI) is not actually an allergy (similar idea though). NCGI is thought by some to be a type of immune response, similar to celiac disease, but not much is known yet. We do know that NCGI causes pretty much the same symptoms that celiac disease does but minus the villi damage and/or dh skin rash.  Sufferers of NCGI could experience stomach aches, bloating, headaches, joint pain, ataxia, cognitive issues, fatigue, systemic inflammation, plus many other symptoms.  Those symptoms may resolve quickly (days to weeks) or take months - it really depends on how quickly your body clues into the fact that the offending gliadin is no longer present, and then some symptoms will take a long time to heal.  A celiac's auto-antibodies do have a half life, but what is more important is how quickly a body stops making those antibodies. Some people stop producing autoantibodies within days to weeks while others, like myself, take months to years to get to normal... it's a pretty individual thing.  LOL That's not very helpful is it?  ;)

Best wishes.

Your trying FODMAP too? That looks like a tough one to get straight.  ;)  I believe going FODMAP allows some wheat where as a NCGI must go 100% gluten-free to notice benefits.

http://stanfordhospital.org/digestivehealth/nutrition/DH-Low-FODMAP-Diet-Handout.pdf

Have you been diagnosed with NCGI or celiac disease yet?

My friend is gluten intolerant but not coeliac.  He said the symptoms are fast to come on but also fast to leave.  He lives a 100% gluten free life, although has been glutened from cross contamination or by people simply forgetting and not telling him.

I'm Celiac and at the time of diagnosis my biopsy showed moderate to severe villi damage, although I didn't have any noticeable symtoms.  Despite the extent of the damage, within a few weeks of being gluten free I found I had more energy, needed less sleep, got fewer night sweats, could think more clearly, and was never bloated.  At 6 months I redid the blood work and my ttg iga was down from 13 to too low to register (under 2)  and one of my other tests (I forget now which one) went from 156 down to 30.

My point is... is that it really does depend on the person.  So in my case, even with the antibodies and the villi damage I was able to heal very quickly and my body stopped generating new antibodies very quickly.  As the others have said, I think part of it depends on how quickly your body gets the message that it doesn't need to create any new antibodies.  I also think that it depends a lot on how healthy you are to begin with otherwise.

The symptoms are so diverse and varied and not everyone suffers from them all (I would imagine that to be so).  Also, our levels of tolerance vary.  I think symptom abatement, not healing of damage, can be subjective.  What I may be able to tolerate, someone else may not.  All I know is, with my official diagnosis of not-celiac - I feel better overall without the gluten, despite some unrelated illness, and it has been "just" 7 1/2 weeks.