This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Eat 'n Park Problems, Again

Monklady123

Monklady123 Collaborator

I posted about Eat 'n Park some time ago (they had something on their gluten free menu that wasn't gluten-free). So I went there again yesterday with my mother who is also gluten free. (I'm in Pittsburgh visiting her). She likes Eat 'n Park so even though I don't we went there because she wanted to. :)

We looked on the gluten-free menu and it said omelets were gluten free. I double checked with the waitress, she said yes they were. Also the breakfast potatoes. So we ordered, then waited forever (which is usual for Eat 'n Park). Finally our food came and right there on her plate next to her omelet were not breakfast potatoes but hash browns. They were only touching one end of the omelet and she didn't want to send it all back and have to wait forever again for a replacement. So I cut off that end of the omelet and gave it and the potatoes to my son. I mentioned it to the waitress when she came back, and then a few minutes later one of the managers came by and gave us our check with the cost of the omelet deducted. Nice of them, but still no help about the gluten. Fortunately my mother was fine with it this morning since she didn't actually eat any. (she's not diagnosed with celiac but went gluten-free after I was diagnosed, and feels 100% better so never went back to it).

I ordered ordinary eggs, bacon, and the potatoes and feel fine this morning so I guess that was okay. (except that the eggs were not cooked well, and my tea was hardly hot). But I would advise avoiding Eat 'n Park unless you absolutely have no choice, especially if you are very sensitive to gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

Eat-N-Park  isn't  perfect  but  the  servers  can  be  uniformed....so  the  cook  doesn't  get  the  correct  info... We   & hundreds  of  fellow  celiac people  eat  at  this  restaurant..  It is not  an up scale  restaurant where  they  cater  to  you... Eat-N-Park  has  bent  over  backwards   for the gluten-free  community... Yes,  crap happens  but  for the  most  part  it is  a  safe  place... maybe  nest  time  stress to the  server  how important  it  is  that  no mistakes  be  made  as  someone  could  become ill or just  ask for the manager  to handle  your  order.....there  sliced  potatoes  are gluten-free.. And  we  never  waited forever for  our  food... maybe  you should  phone  the cooperate office  &  notify them  of  this  Eat-N_park  that is not  keeping  up with the others... I  can tell you they  will check it out....and  even  do  a  re-hash  of  gluten-free..... I have  spoke  at  our  Eat_n_parks  several times to help them better understand  gluten-free....

sorry you had a bad  experience....

Monklady123 Collaborator

Yes, I know the breakfast potatoes are gluten-free. I said that in my first post. That's what I had. But it was hash browns that showed up on her plate even after we stressed gluten free. The waitress agreed that they were NOT gluten free when I called her over. -- The last time I went there (maybe 6 months or so ago) they actually had onion rings listed on the gluten free menu. I asked the waitress at the time what sort of bread crumbs they used to make gluten-free onion rings and she looked at me blankly. And it turns out that they were NOT gluten free. So, they may have "bent over backwards" for the gluten-free community but I'm advising everyone who needs gluten free to avoid them or to be really careful. Clearly standards have slipped.

mamaw Community Regular

PLEASE   call the  corporate  office  ... I travel a lot  &  eat-n-parks  are in this  tri state area  but  I have  never  seen  a menu  that  listed  onion  rings  as  gluten-free..... if  that  is  a  correct  statement  then  the  corporate office  needs to know... What I don't  get  is the  menu's  are all alike  in  every  eat-n-park.. They do  change throughout  the  seasons....but  all  the restaurants  change....  If  you  would like to  give  me  the  address of the one  you had  such  a  bad  experience  I  will take  care  of the  problems...The  menu  isn't one  that someone could  just  change  on their own... I have  called several  restaurants   &  asked  about  onion rings  being  listed  gluten-free  on the menu..... I was  told  NO  to all that  I called....

again, I understood  about the potatoes... eating out  anywhere is  always  risky...but  again  ask for the manager if  you don't  feel  comfortable...  Servers  come & go  in any restaurant  so  yes,  servers  can be not  up to  par  ... But if the restaurant  knows  this  they will do another  work shop with  them... They  want to serve the  celiac  community... 

We  as  celiac  want to have places  to go out  to eat so  we  need  to be  vigilant about  helping  them  learn   about  celiac  &  what  can happen to us  when  mistakes  happen...  

I've  been in  expensive  restaurants  where  mistakes  happen  & they never  even  acknowledge   they  were  wrong.. but  I will always  give  someone  who  takes  the time  to make some  kind  of  gesture  to  acknowledge  a problem a  second  chance.... 

eatnpark Newbie

We’re really sorry to hear about your recent experience at our restaurant. We take all food allergies very seriously and would like to personally follow up with you. Would you mind taking a moment to fill out our feedback form? You can find it here: Open Original Shared Link. Thanks!

Archived