livinthelife

Synthroid Revisited...other Brands Better?

Rate this topic

I take 100 mcg of Synthroid and have for years. Since my celiac diagnosis last fall, it's the only medicine that the manufacturer won't guarantee as gluten-free. I spoke with the company today, and the rep confirmed that they do not test and would not guarantee the medicine to be gluten free. She told me to speak to my physician about it. DUH.

Yes, I'll call my doc tomorrow BUT....for those of you who take Synthroid, does it seem to bother you? Have you switched to another medication? I had bad celiac test results at my four month follow-up so I'm being extra double careful , as I now know I should've been before with medications. The generic Synthroid was simply abysmal, so that's not an option for this gal!

Synthroid may very well be gluten-free....just because they do not test their product does not mean it contains gluten. I personally have never used Synthroid as I prefer a hormone replacement of both T3 and T4.  I use Nature-throid and have never had a problem with it and I am extremely sensitive to tiny amounts of gluten.

Having a "bad" Celiac panel done at the 4 month mark means nothing....unless the numbers went back up and you become symptomatic.  It may take much longer for your antibodies to normalize so I wouldn't sweat that.  If you feel uncomfortable with Synthroid, then you'll have to look for another replacement hormone.  The natural hormones like Armour and Nature-throid are gluten free but some doctors will not prescribe them.  They are biased towards T4 hormone only...which can be a problem.

There is also more than one manufacturer of generic synthroid, if you can figure out which you had before, you can try another.