Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

BlessedMommy

Macaroni Grill

Rate this topic

Does anybody have any info about them? We are going on an overnight trip this weekend and my husband asked me if they had any gluten-free options. I did a quick google search and it appears that they have options, but what is their cross contamination protocol? Anybody have any experiences with them, good or bad?

Yikes, I just read through a whole bunch of reviews about Macaroni Grill cooking and preparing gluten-free pasta/food very sloppily, to the point where people found whole wheat pasta mixed in with their gluten-free pasta.  :o  :wacko: There was even one review stating that they often bring out gluten pasta when you ask for gluten free and one person was rushed to the hospital after being reassured that their food was safe.

I won't be trying this place! Who are they trying to cater to, the fad dieters?

Not sure why a Celiac would go to a place called Macaroni Grill. You can call ahead of time and talk to a manager or chef. Let them kniw you react to CC and see if they can tighten up for you. 

Not sure why a Celiac would go to a place called Macaroni Grill. You can call ahead of time and talk to a manager or chef. Let them kniw you react to CC and see if they can tighten up for you. 

I think that some places with names like that can have safe food, it just depends. I've heard good reviews of Old Spaghetti Factory and Olive Garden.

And yes, we're going to Akron, OH, so there are definitely other options. They have an Outback Steakhouse there and up further north, closer to Cleveland, there's a California Pizza Kitchen.

I think that some places with names like that can have safe food, it just depends. I've heard good reviews of Old Spaghetti Factory and Olive Garden.

I would not go to any place where the primary food offering is wheat filled pasta.

Look at Find me Gluten Free for ideas. I post there frequently.

I would not go to any place where the primary food offering is wheat filled pasta.

Look at Find me Gluten Free for ideas. I post there frequently.

It's my understanding that Olive Garden pasta isn't cooked on site, that it's basically prepackaged and heated up in the microwave. Are there CC problems with Olive Garden that I'm unaware of?

IrishHeart, do a lot of pasta places that offer "gluten free" pasta, boil it in the same water?

There are a few that know how to do gluten-free pasta correctly. I ask that question to a manager. Usually I call ahead.

IrishHeart, do a lot of pasta places that offer "gluten free" pasta, boil it in the same water?

I was not really suggesting that's what they do. All I said was  "I would not go to a place....."

I have been burned by places offering G F pasta and pizza, promising the public that they understand cc issues.

I just think, IMO, that all that sliced bread, crumbs, salad croutons, and a very fast-paced kitchen output could make for a few mistakes.

It's entirely up to you.

I do what Karen suggests. I speak to the manager about their kitchen practices,

I see, thanks for your explanation. :)

I think (and again, this is just my opinion) that some fast food places are just too busy to take special care.

I was only in a macaroni grill about 4 times before DX (I am just not a huge fan of the place but I met people there for lunch dates)

and honestly, they seem intent on serving all the bread, croutons and pasta with sauces they can. In a hurry. lol

But, I know that many people have dined there successfully, even though they give the frozen pasta a mediocre review. 

Spaghetti Warehouse just unrolled a gluten free menu that includes gluten-free Pasta.  I have to say Johnny Carino's is my favorite Italian because there is some many gluten-free options - even pizza!