powerofpositivethinking

Dr. Fasano's Gluten Freedom Discussion

Rate this topic

Since Dr. Fasano's book was just released, I thought it would be a good idea to start a discussion thread.

I've always known rice works well with my body.  The one health advocates say is terrible for you, white rice, always makes me feel great!  I took a nutrition class and found out that rice is the least reactive food, so that explains a lot to me.

Dr. Fasano states that, "the Chinese diet is mainly based on rice."  This is from pg. 13 of his book, "In China, consuming Western-style food, and thereby eating increasing amounts of gluten, has become a sign of climbing the social ladder of the Chinese economy.  The predictable byproduct has been increased reports of celiac disease in China.  My pessimistic predication is that along with expanding its economic boundaries, China will also expand its boundaries for celiac disease and other gluten-related disorders."

That makes sense to me!

The entire book is well written and having met the man, I can honestly say, that he is the most down-to-earth compassionate doctor there is and 

we are fortunate he is our most vocal celiac advocate. Case in point, while he was speaking to this giant room full of people, a baby started to cry and fuss at the back and the mom scrambled to get him out of there and Dr. F stopped his presentation and said so sweetly, with a smile "No need to take the baby outside. He's not bothering me. please, stay, stay! it's all right." Imagine having him as your child's pediatric gastro? Imagine having him as your doctor? yeah, me too. lol

anyway....

He begins the discussion of that opinion about the predictable rise of celiac he can foresee by saying "China has always been considered immune from celiac disease because the diet is based on rice" but the influx of fast food chains is likely a CAUSATIVE factor. (meaning just one part of the triad, or the "holy trinity" as he calls it for triggering the disease and autoimmunity to gluten) 

be sure to read the parts about zonulin! fascinating.

His book also discusses the multi-fold process of triggering the disease in pre-disposed individuals based on the HLA DQ2/DQ8 genes, environmental "triggers" and the consumption of gluten.

He is one of the more notable GI doctors who believes that NCGS is a real clinical entity and his team is working on finding biomarkers for it.

I love the part where he "cooks for us". 

All in all, I think every celiac/NCGSer and their families should read it. IMHO

This thread is so timely! I just ordered his book on Amazon (along with toaster bags for our trip and I hope they work). I can not wait to read it.

Off topic, I know - did you get the " toast it " brand? They are plenty big and work great. But very hot when you take them out of the toaster. So have a hot pad or a couple of napkins ready.

Now..... Back to Dr F and his book....

Off topic, I know - did you get the " toast it " brand? They are plenty big and work great. But very hot when you take them out of the toaster. So have a hot pad or a couple of napkins ready.

Now..... Back to Dr F and his book....

No, they were the Boska Holland brand. I read the reviews and they seemed okay. I thought they might be useful at the B & B's in England. We are staying in one B & B in Bath that caters to Celiacs for several days. I will use the bags at other B & B's that are not gluten friendly. I plan on packing in food at those locations.

No, they were the Boska Holland brand. I read the reviews and they seemed okay. I thought they might be useful at the B & B's in England. We are staying in one B & B in Bath that caters to Celiacs for several days. I will use the bags at other B & B's that are not gluten friendly. I plan on packing in food at those locations.

Oh.......Bath is lovely! Hope you have a great time!