Melly250

Does This Sound Like I Have Celiac Disease?

Rate this topic

Feb 1, 2014 I noticed bumps on my elbows and the itching was so intense! I also saw some on my hip bones on both sides and again intense itching. I saw a dermatologist and she diagnosed me with Eczema and gave me a prescription for a steroid cream. I used it for a  few days and it seemed to help. But then I started getting a burning feeling and bumps on my shoulders and the back of my neck. It itched like crazy. I itched them into scabs. I did not see any oozing. I also got them on the sides of my butt, my thighs, in which I itched bruises and broken blood vessels. My back has bumps up and down my spine. I went and saw my Dr. a few days ago and she ran some bloodwork and said she would not test for Celiac because its a waste of time, that is mostly comes up negative. She referred me to a dermatologist which I need to try to make an appt with. As of yesterday I have noticed alot less itching and no new outbreaks. I have to say the only other symptoms I have are bloating and stomach distention, tired and VERY anxious ALL the time. Does DH subside for a bit? For 2 days now the itching is minimal BUT I also have refrained from scratching for a few days even though it really itched. Any ideas??

celiac  testing  a waste  of time!!!!! I suggest  a new  doctor.....  When  you  get  to  a  derm doc  please  ask again to be  tested for the  full celiac  panel of  blood  work....I know of  someone  whose  doctor  said  just  about the  same thing, so  for a year  of  running  to different  doctors  &  going  crazy with  rashes  &  at times  extreme  itching  & getting  depressed   over   the  skin issues  ,  finally  a  doctor  agreed  to test  & found  full blown celiac... Sometimes  I  want to  scream at these  uniformed  doctors.....

good luck

Yep, like mamaw said, time to change doctors.  Depending on how heavily you were brushed off, you can go back and say you want to be tested for celiac and see if they will do it this time, but I recommend seeing a different doctor.  Another thing you can do is to ask your primary care doctor to run celiac testing on you just to be sure before you go about finding another dermatologist or a GI doctor.  Do note that you need to be eating gluten for the blood tests to be accurate, so if you are thinking about going gluten-free don't do so until your testing is completely done.  If preliminary tests show a positive and you go see a GI doctor, don't go gluten-free until after an endoscopy is done, if applicable.  Feel free to read around the forum here and ask any further questions.

I have not started a gluten free diet. I still feel itchy but it's not as intense. Can I still get a skin biopsy if no new lesions but itch

Maybe. But your best bet is when you have fresh, new lesions. And try your best not to scratch them before you get the biopsy b/c scratching quickly destroys the pattern the lab will be looking for.