Rate this topic

I went to a nut milk class today and double checked that their samples were gluten-free. I asked about their vanilla too and the host checked it for me . Now I'm seeing something stating that pure vanilla extract is all gluten-free and that the alcohol in it is not concerning? I thought that alcohol could be a potential hiding place for gluten?

Distilled alcohol is gluten-free, regardless of the source. The protein can not be vaporized in the still because the molecule is too heavy. The resulting distillate is always gluten-free. It is just something I don't worry about.

I used vanilla bean that I purchased through a natural food coop.  Nothing is added just an inch or two of the bean tossed into a grinder.  The smell is delicious in your pantry.

Dee

Ah yes, if you have access to it and want to impress someone with a dessert, whole vanilla beans are the way to go.  I haven't come across a vanilla that contained gluten, but I only buy real vanilla so I haven't looked at any of the artificial extracts.  I usually buy the one on sale out of a few good quality brands.

Perhaps my next project should be vanilla bean ice cream.  I am going to ruin myself with my culinary successes.