Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

BlessedMommy

Margarine Tubs

Rate this topic

Okay, curious to know what y'all think about this....

I normally avoid condiments that gluten eaters have used.

Occasionally there's been a circumstance, though, where somebody dipped only a little bit of margarine from one end of the container and the whole other side of the container hasn't been dipped into at all. I got mine from the untouched side. 

Is this a bad idea for any reason? Is there some reason that the other side of the margarine that hasn't been used could be already contaminated?

Okay, curious to know what y'all think about this....

I normally avoid condiments that gluten eaters have used.

Occasionally there's been a circumstance, though, where somebody dipped only a little bit of margarine from one end of the container and the whole other side of the container hasn't been dipped into at all. I got mine from the untouched side. 

Is this a bad idea for any reason? Is there some reason that the other side of the margarine that hasn't been used could be already contaminated?

I wouldn't do it.

This isn't really the question you asked, but it's about margarine so I wanted to mention it, since a lot of us can have issues digesting things.

I read that margarine is so highly processed (hydrogenated and what not) that it's not really even a food anymore, and if you set a tub of it outside, unrefrigerated, it won't change at all over time, and that even animals won't touch it.

I never tested this myself, but I still don't touch the stuff, or hydrogenated things altogether. Hope this was useful to you, if not just disregard :)

I have to be a zealot. I've been cross contaminated by flour dust inhalation.
From drinking out of a straw that my husband (who is not gluten free when dining out) had used.
I grabbed the wrong drink.

From kissing my husband after he ate a sandwich and before he brushed his teeth.

I was told by someone recently that I was being "ridiculous" about it.

I don't care.  I'd rather be ridiculous than in the cardiac care unit, again. I'd rather be ridiculous and be alive than risk being cross-contaminated.

I agree with many others that you shouldn't risk it. 

On another note, margarine is horrible for you.  Hydrogenated oils are horrid for you and contain trans fats.  There is no limit on the amount of trans fats one should consume because we aren't supposed to eat them and are advised against eating them.  To really be healthy, eat as close to nature as you can get.  Butter is a far superior alternative, and in moderation, it won't make you gain weight.   

I agree with many others that you shouldn't risk it. 

On another note, margarine is horrible for you.  Hydrogenated oils are horrid for you and contain trans fats.  There is no limit on the amount of trans fats one should consume because we aren't supposed to eat them and are advised against eating them.  To really be healthy, eat as close to nature as you can get.  Butter is a far superior alternative, and in moderation, it won't make you gain weight.   

I actually use Earth Balance spread, not hydrogenated margarine.

I only used the word "margarine" as a visually descriptive tool for the type of container I would be dipping out of, because not everybody has heard of Earth Balance non-hydrogenated buttery spreads. (which are trans fat free) http://earthbalancenatural.com/

Real butter isn't an option for me, I'm dairy free.

I wouldn't use the spread in the tub in that situation.  Just wouldn't be comfortable.  But when you think down to it and there is a pristine top still on the other half, you should be fine, but it isn't devoid of risk.  There is also the perception problem of people seeing you use the same tub as the bread crumby knives were in and not being taken seriously later.  Or passing off a bad habit to a kid out of misunderstanding.