This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gas-X Causing Severe Bloating?

Waitingindreams

Waitingindreams Enthusiast

Has anyone had any experience with this? This was awhile ago, but I wanted to share this experience to see if anyone had any insight.

Since before being diagnosed, I have had a horribly distended stomach/tons of bloating issues. I am a size 12 in pants, but my stomach (sometimes) looks like I'm 9 months pregnant and at least a size 18+. I gained weight when the celiac disease really started taking a toll...but I have been a size 12 before and my stomach never looked like this. 

I started taking digestive enzymes and I've always been taking probiotics...it would make a small difference here or there but nothing too huge. Back in...we'll say February or so...I went to see my doctor to talk to him about the persistent bloating. He told me I should get off the enzymes, and just use Gas-x before a meal to prevent bloating. i figured that was a much cheaper, convenient alternative so I'd try it. I took it before my dinner.

After I took it, I had cramping, stomach pain, and tons of gas. I took that as a good sign, i thought it was just my body getting rid of all of the built up gas that was causing me to bloat. Not so much. My stomach changes enough that I can tell when I'm bloated just by looking in the mirror...sometimes it looks relatively flat, other times I look pregnant. So I got up and looked at myself in the mirror...and I was shocked/devastated. I had NEVER seen my stomach look that big before. It was huge, distended and swollen. Needless to say, I didn't touch the Gas-x again. The bloating eventually did go down. 

From everything I've read/seen...Gas-X seems to be gluten free. Does anyone know what would have caused this kind of reaction? Even when I bloat after eating I never have that kind of intense pain, gas, or bloating to that degree. I've found the bloating in general has subsided slightly since giving up yeast/lactose..and I am looking into trying Vitalzymes digestive enzymes. 

Any ideas? It seems bizarre to me...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jolene1401 Newbie

Has anyone had any experience with this? This was awhile ago, but I wanted to share this experience to see if anyone had any insight.

Since before being diagnosed, I have had a horribly distended stomach/tons of bloating issues. I am a size 12 in pants, but my stomach (sometimes) looks like I'm 9 months pregnant and at least a size 18+. I gained weight when the celiac disease really started taking a toll...but I have been a size 12 before and my stomach never looked like this. 

I started taking digestive enzymes and I've always been taking probiotics...it would make a small difference here or there but nothing too huge. Back in...we'll say February or so...I went to see my doctor to talk to him about the persistent bloating. He told me I should get off the enzymes, and just use Gas-x before a meal to prevent bloating. i figured that was a much cheaper, convenient alternative so I'd try it. I took it before my dinner.

After I took it, I had cramping, stomach pain, and tons of gas. I took that as a good sign, i thought it was just my body getting rid of all of the built up gas that was causing me to bloat. Not so much. My stomach changes enough that I can tell when I'm bloated just by looking in the mirror...sometimes it looks relatively flat, other times I look pregnant. So I got up and looked at myself in the mirror...and I was shocked/devastated. I had NEVER seen my stomach look that big before. It was huge, distended and swollen. Needless to say, I didn't touch the Gas-x again. The bloating eventually did go down. 

From everything I've read/seen...Gas-X seems to be gluten free. Does anyone know what would have caused this kind of reaction? Even when I bloat after eating I never have that kind of intense pain, gas, or bloating to that degree. I've found the bloating in general has subsided slightly since giving up yeast/lactose..and I am looking into trying Vitalzymes digestive enzymes. 

Any ideas? It seems bizarre to me...

I have found that I can't tolerate sorbitol. This is an ingredient in Gas-X along with being in toothpastes and foods. It's a sweetener. If you are sensitive to it, you will most likely also be sensitive to any of the other sweeteners that end with "tol". I discovered this when I ate Nathan's hot dogs which are gluten free, but they also contain sorbitol. I was sick for 2 days after eating them. For gas relief I take Phazyme which contains simethicone. Hopefully this will help you.

kareng Grand Master

I have found that I can't tolerate sorbitol. This is an ingredient in Gas-X along with being in toothpastes and foods. It's a sweetener. If you are sensitive to it, you will most likely also be sensitive to any of the other sweeteners that end with "tol". I discovered this when I ate Nathan's hot dogs which are gluten free, but they also contain sorbitol. I was sick for 2 days after eating them. For gas relief I take Phazyme which contains simethicone. Hopefully this will help you.

Good point!  Some of those artificial sweeteners give me bloating, etc.  Fortunately, for me, the amount in 1 or 2 pills or a small amount of toothpaste isn't enough to cause me issues.

Wow! You might actually be on to something there! Back in my freshman year of college, (so about 8 years ago now, way before diagnosis) I chewed a lot of gum...a lot of it must have been sugar free because it all contained 'xylitol'. I was having major cramping/bloating issues with how much gum I was chewing...sometimes I'd run to the bathroom and have to go badly.

I looked it up and read that xylitol was a laxative, so I just stopped chewing gum all together. I assumed I was just chewing large enough quantities that the xylitol was affecting me more...but now I am wondering if I am sensitive to those artificial sweeteners. (Since that whole episode I've done my best to avoid xylitol anyway - but I never thought I had a sensitivity to it and I never considered other sweeteners as well.) Wow! Okay, so Xylitol, Sorbitol...what else? This is exhausting! 

Thanks so much, this really gave me something to think about. I'm not so sure I actually have a problem with gas, or if it's just bloating - but thank you for the tip. I'll look into it. :)

Also, any ideas of sorbitol/sweetener free tooth paste? Do I need to be concerned about the amount in tooth paste at all? I just googled the one I use from Tom's of Maine...it has both sorbitol and xylitol in it. Whoops :(

jolene1401 Newbie

Also, any ideas of sorbitol/sweetener free tooth paste? Do I need to be concerned about the amount in tooth paste at all? I just googled the one I use from Tom's of Maine...it has both sorbitol and xylitol in it. Whoops :(

I use Crest Pro-Health toothpaste. I'm not sure if the amount in toothpaste is worth worrying about, but since I know I'm sensitive to sorbitol, I try to avoid it in everything. I had wondered about the Gas-X for some time before finding out what the problem was. Also watch for malitol. It gives me the same problems.

Excellent. Thank you so much! I'm so glad I asked about this. It would make sense, given my history with the xylitol issues. I'll keep an eye out for all artificial sweeteners now too, phew! Will the list ever end? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MichLab Explorer

Yes - I actually posted about this not too long ago.  I too thought GasX was gluten free and the few times that I took it became incredibly sick. My stomach as well look like I was going to give birth to an elephant!

You did? Every time I try to search on this forum it never shows me results, lol. I'm glad it wasn't just me!

Did you figure out the reason it was causing you to bloat?

It does seem to be gluten free, based on the ingredients and it is on a bunch of gluten free medication lists. Do you think it was the sorbitol for you? What do you take for bloating/gas?

Okay, I now have another question involving the sweeteners (xylitol, sorbitol, malitol) What do you take for cold relief? I've been taking Zicam for a few years because it's quick and effective...it did always make me kind of feel a bit sick in the stomach (but I always attributed that to the fact that I was already feeling sick) I never noticed extreme bloating after taking Zicam, but I always kind of noticed a slight crampy, sickening feeling. After reading your comments I decided to check Zicam and sure enough, it has mannitol in it. Wow. How many 'tols' are there? ;D So, any good gluten free, sweetener free cold remedies? I used to take Dayquil/Nyquil but that would take days to kick in, (and I haven't verified if it's gluten free anyway) the Zicam was really quick. 

Man, this is exhausting! I am going to the store today after work, though, so if you can let me know what a good cold relief is I can just grab it today! :)

MichLab Explorer

You did? Every time I try to search on this forum it never shows me results, lol. I'm glad it wasn't just me!

Did you figure out the reason it was causing you to bloat?

It does seem to be gluten free, based on the ingredients and it is on a bunch of gluten free medication lists. Do you think it was the sorbitol for you? What do you take for bloating/gas?

It very well could be the sorbitol - I am can take tolerate any of the artificial sugars.  Currently - I am not taking anything for gas/bloating.  I just let it pass. I have been having a lot of stomach issues lately  - so I have been trying to keep my diet simple and bland as I try to figure out what else bothers me.  I am pretty certain corn is a culprit.  But there is without a doubt something in the GasX that does not agree with me.

I have a nagging feeling that corn is an issue for me as well. i didn't want to believe it, I still don't - but all of those sugars are derived from corn, so it's a possibility. I want to cut back on corn anyway because it apparently feeds candida, but cutting back on it is one thing - having an actual intolerance/issue with it is another. 

I've read so many horror stories about corn intolerance,and how corn is in everything...oi. 

Archived