Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shane

Celiac & Myocarditis/cardiomyopathy

Hi, I was diagnosed with Celiac disease via blood test in January.  At that time I was also diagnosed with Cardiomyopathy.  I was just recently also diagnosed with Myocarditis.  No one knows if there is a connection between the celiac and the problems I am having with my heart.  The only thing I am told is the damage to my heart was most likely caused by a virus.  Does anyone have any info that would help clear this up?  I am scheduled to have an internal defibrillator implanted in June because of the damage done to my heart.  Could the Celiac have caused the damage? I have no heart disease, no clogged arteries which was confirmed through a cardiac catheritization, no high cholesterol...Any insight would be appreciated.

Actually, in Dr. Peter Green's book on Celiac Disease, he mentions that cardiomyopathy is seen in some Celiac patients as the heart can develop tTg antibodies.  If your overactive immune system can attack many other organs, it could also affect the heart.  Not too common but it can happen.  I'll have to re-read that section to see exact wording.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19738524

http://jaha.ahajournals.org/content/1/3/e001594.full

there is such a thing as autoimmune myocarditis.  in 2002 there was a small study, they found > than 4% of autoimmune myocarditis patients tested + celiac diseas.   also, research use of Co Q 10.

When you body is inflammed your immune system is weak and is open to attack...... really anywhere.  I though I had pink eye and freaked thinking I picked up some bug but it wasn't until I made a slight adjustment to my diet did it slowly go away (pink eye attack was almost 3 weeks, I was most surprised my boss still forced me to work, was so degrading I wore sunglasses indoors, the pr!ck...)