This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Kitchen, But Hubbby Drinks Regular Beer

ravenra

ravenra Rookie

Our household is gluten free, with the exception of hubby drinking regular beer. I've been gluten-free for about 1.5 years so I'm still sorting out how sensitive I am - and at this point, I think I have reacted to things like CC on deli meat from slicer (actual meat was gluten-free), accidental sip of 'real beer', etc.

I think I was recently CC'd by kissing my husband after he drank beer - is that crazy? Also wondering if glasses might be 'contaminated.'

Wondering if anyone has experience with this. He's been so supportive giving up wheat / gluten, etc. but he is a beer lover so I don't want to have to tell him that he can't drink beer in the house.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

Our household is gluten free, with the exception of hubby drinking regular beer. I've been gluten-free for about 1.5 years so I'm still sorting out how sensitive I am - and at this point, I think I have reacted to things like CC on deli meat from slicer (actual meat was gluten-free), accidental sip of 'real beer', etc.

I think I was recently CC'd by kissing my husband after he drank beer - is that crazy? Also wondering if glasses might be 'contaminated.'

Wondering if anyone has experience with this. He's been so supportive giving up wheat / gluten, etc. but he is a beer lover so I don't want to have to tell him that he can't drink beer in the house.

Thanks!

You can get CC by that.

LauraTX Rising Star

Yep, no kissing the gluten eater, haha!  My husband is really sweet and will stop me. Maybe you can buy your husband a set of special beer pilsner glasses to drink from?  I want to say you can get them at a place like walmart or target in a set of 4 for under $25.  

ravenra Rookie

Might it be the glasses, or the sweet kisses?

Thanks all!

Adalaide Mentor

You can get CC by that.

To clarify, yes you can get CC'd from kissing a gluten eater or beer drinker. Glass on the other hand, if washed, will not CC you. Just have him rinse the glasses when he's done with them, which is a good idea anyway so they're easier to clean. Of course, if he wants a nice (or cheap, whatever floats his boat) set of beer glasses then go for it. And my perspective is by far one of the most paranoid out there. I'm OCD and only just got my own kitchen I can make gluten free like 2 weeks ago. (YAY!!!!) But I also don't punish my husband because I have a stupid disease and let him bring a bakery cake home the other day and even eat it off my ceramic plates because we forgot to get him paper ones. I simply washed all the crumbs off them before I put them in the dishwasher. I'm really not the least bit worried, and I'm like the kid in the Sixth Sense. I see gluten CC everywhere. :ph34r:

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I think that kissing your husband after drinking beer is possible.  To extrapolate that to getting glutened from having it in the house is a stretch.  The gluten of even regular beer isn't all that high.  Open Original Shared Link

Not crazy Rookie

My husband just drinks out of the bottles so I don't worry (beer the only gluten allowed in my house).

What about hand washing the glasses in an empty sink using a dedicated sponge or disposible rag. Then clean the sink after. That way no gluten can get on any other dishes or on a rag and spead to counters etc. I

As far as kissing, no kissing until he brushes his teeth. My husband eats gluten at work (actually has stuff to make sandwiches stocked up at work along with other gluten filled quick meals). So make sure he brushes his teeth after drinking beer and if he has ate gluten while he was out of the house.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 4 weeks later...
cap6 Enthusiast

Beer is about the only allowed gluten item in our home too.  My partner will drink the Omission beer which is gluten free when we can find it.  I've heard that it is good but I am not a beer drinker.    No kissing till the teeth are brushed!!!  

• 1 year later...
mfarrell Rookie

I am glad I read this..... I had no idea that this would be an issue.  I have few symptoms and the ones I have aren't bad but I do have damage in my intestines so I am trying for it to heal and this was very interesting. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
guitarlover727 Newbie

I know this is an old post, but I thought I'd contribute- I am dealing with CC from kissing my boyfriend who drank regular beer a few nights ago... d'oh! I didn't even think about it until I couldn't sleep that night from burning toes/numb thumbs and the next morning being unable to walk/move my arms up... ugh! I think I will have to make a new "no beer in the house" rule :/ Sucks, man.

• 2 weeks later...
Amalthea Newbie

I get the rash, so I am a walking wheat sensor.  I have been glutened by both of kissing a spouse who eats wheat, and by running wheat exposed dishes through the dishwasher.  Dishwashers don't run continuous clean water.  They run a couple cycles of water, and splash the dirty water around for a while.  For most people's purposes, this is enough when combined with the high heat, to call them clean.  But I have had cases where the kids loaded the dishwasher badly, some of the glasses had been exposed, they didn't stay inverted, picked up dirty water spraying around, and harbored the wheat, which then spilled on everything when they flipped the glass to unload it.  And let me tell you that figuring out that was the source broke my brain with frustration.  I had to tell the family they had to use disposable dishes for wheat stuff, and take it outside to eat it to be safe.  And I have to ask spouse before kisses, if he's had wheat today.  It is super frustrating, but I really am that sensitive. 

cap6 Enthusiast

Running dishes through the dishwasher is perfectly safe . And they do not just splash dirty water around.

• 5 weeks later...
Onepercenter Rookie

I've bee cc by kissing the husband. FYI to cap6 omission beer is a ?  It is barley beer treated with an enzyme that removes the gluten. A lot of online debate about it. And since we all differ in how sensitive we are, to me it's a ? Also, I put dishwashing sponges in dishwasher, drying cycle kills all funk I believe.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I've bee cc by kissing the husband. FYI to cap6 omission beer is a ?  It is barley beer treated with an enzyme that removes the gluten. A lot of online debate about it. And since we all differ in how sensitive we are, to me it's a ? Also, I put dishwashing sponges in dishwasher, drying cycle kills all funk I believe.

Welcome, Onepercenter!

That sponge in the dishwasher? Kills germs but it does not remove gluten.  Best to keep separate sponges.  

Archived