kristin21

Need Help Interpreting Iga Blood Test Results

Rate this topic

Hi everyone!

I've been gluten free for 3 years now, and I just had my IgG and IgA levels tested again because I still have a lot of bloating and distention despite eliminating gluten and some other foods 1 year ago that I found out I had intolerances too. And then 2 weeks ago, I eliminated a few other foods I discovered I had intolerances too (almond, refined sugar, etc.), and starting introducing some of the foods I had previously eliminated because of intolerances, but that blood work showed I was ok with now (poultry, eggs, etc.).

However, 3 years later, I'm still experiencing bloating and distention, although it has gotten better over the years. Like I said, I just had the antibody levels checked again, and everything has gone down, except IgA is still above 'normal'. Does this mean that I'm still ingesting gluten somehow? Or does it point to some other problem? Any help would be appreciated. I have posted my initial and new blood test results here.

Upon Diagnosis

Deamidated Gliadin IgA 70.3 U/mol

Deamidated Gliadin IgG 24.1 U/mol

Transglutaminase IgA AB 2.6 U/mol

(the reference range says these numbers should be below 12 U/mol)

New Results

Deamidated Gliadin IgA 21.2 U/mol

Deamidated Gliadin IgG 1.5 U/mol

Transglutaminase IgA AB 0.3 U/mol

(the reference range for this test shows that these should be below 9.99 U/mol)

Edited by kristin21

Welcome to the board.

The DGP IgA is thought to be one of the better tests for monitoring compliance to the gluten-free diet. If it is positive, it is usually gluten causing it. I do not know what could cause a false positive in that test. :(

Could it be gluten? Is it possible that something was contaminated?

Welcome to the board.

The DGP IgA is thought to be one of the better tests for monitoring compliance to the gluten-free diet. If it is positive, it is usually gluten causing it. I do not know what could cause a false positive in that test. :(

Could it be gluten? Is it possible that something was contaminated?

Thanks for the reply. I had suspected that that's what it meant, but I just wanted to make sure. It's pretty disheartening to know that I'm still getting gluten after 3 years, cause I thought I was being so careful. Apparently not. 

I still live at home, and my mom eats gluten. So it must be a cross contamination issue, because I'm really careful with the foods that I buy. The only other thing would maybe be the birth control I'm on, or maybe vitamins, even though all the ones I take say that there's no gluten in them. Has anyone had any experience with Trophic brand and Health First brand vitamins? 

Once you've checked and tweaked your diet, meds, shampoos and such, I would ask for a DGP retest in 3 to 6 months to see if it does go down... Just in case it IS something else that is raising it up. There is a LOT I don't know about those tests, and that probably applies to many of the doctors too.

Good luck!  I hope you figure it out. :)