Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kellyduhr

50 Year Old With Symptoms

Hello,

I am new to this forum, so I am looking for answers.  Here is my story.

In Jan. I ended up in the hospital with severe stomach and back pain. I have 3-4 day episodes with nausea, light headed and fatigue.  The pain isn't as bad as what put me in the hospital, but is does put me down.   I have had every GI test there is. The back pain is in the middle of my back, mostly on the right side.  Is it constant now.  Yesterday I had an exploratory lap surgery of my abdomen done to see if my organs were ok.  Everything came up fine.  My doctor mentioned to my husband that it could be celiac disease.  We both kind of brushed it off and thought it was silly.  However, this afternoon I decided to read about it. I was surprised at what I read.  It all fits.  What really got me was the HD rash on the back of my neck.  This was really bad a couple of months ago.  I went to my GP and he gave me some liquid med to help with the itching.  What I read today, this is a symptom.  I go back for my post op visit in 2 weeks.  We will see where this takes me.  I know there is something wrong with me.  I am irritable and just don't feel well most of the time.  Is it rare for a 50 year to develop this and why did it come on so strong in Jan?  Would love to hear from others on their symptoms.  Thanks!  

Many are diagnosed because they look at the symptoms and notice they made sense in their case.  Welcome, and I hope to hear stories of your progress with testing and afterward with the diet.  I thought celiac made sense for me.  I had extreme fatigue, mental fog, and infertility.  I also seemed unusually irritable.  I noted interesting changes as I began the diet.  My nutrient levels pulled up.  My aching foot went away.  I hope you will get a definitive diagnosis and move toward better health.

Dee

Hello,

I am new to this forum, so I am looking for answers.  Here is my story.

In Jan. I ended up in the hospital with severe stomach and back pain. I have 3-4 day episodes with nausea, light headed and fatigue.  The pain isn't as bad as what put me in the hospital, but is does put me down.   I have had every GI test there is. The back pain is in the middle of my back, mostly on the right side.  Is it constant now.  Yesterday I had an exploratory lap surgery of my abdomen done to see if my organs were ok.  Everything came up fine.  My doctor mentioned to my husband that it could be celiac disease.  We both kind of brushed it off and thought it was silly.  However, this afternoon I decided to read about it. I was surprised at what I read.  It all fits.  What really got me was the HD rash on the back of my neck.  This was really bad a couple of months ago.  I went to my GP and he gave me some liquid med to help with the itching.  What I read today, this is a symptom.  I go back for my post op visit in 2 weeks.  We will see where this takes me.  I know there is something wrong with me.  I am irritable and just don't feel well most of the time.  Is it rare for a 50 year to develop this and why did it come on so strong in Jan?  Would love to hear from others on their symptoms.  Thanks!  

I don't have a diagnosis yet but many of your symptoms are familiar to me. At 12 I had a healthy appendix removed due to mesenteric adenitis. I've also had severe stomach pains over the years, horrible stomach cramps.  I get a rash on the back of my neck and scalp.  I've had severe lower back pain including sciatica. I've also had irritability, depression and anxiety. All of which have improved dramatically following removing gluten. Good luck with your diagnosis!

Right, what cyclinglady said.  You can have celiac as a young child or mid-life or even have it start in your 80's.   There are a couple of genes associated with celiac disease but they only give you the possibility of developing it.  About 30% of the population has a genetic marker but only 1% develop celiac disease.  Why that 1% get it and the rest don't is a good question that nobody really knows the answer to.

You mentioned an HD rash?  Maybe you meant DH rash?  DH ( dermatitis herpetiformis ) is a skin rash some people with celiac get.  There is more info on it in the dermatitis herpetiformis section of this forum.  Testing for DH can be different.

Celiac disease antibodie tests

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA
Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG
Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA
Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA
Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and IgG
Total Serum IgA