killernj13

Soy - Cross Contamination

Rate this topic

I have had Celiac for over 10 yrs and been on this forum just as long.  I recently came across a post on Ask.com or one of those websites on Soy.  It basically stated Soy is grown, shipped and store with wheat on most farms and should be avoided as we are told to avoid oats due to cross contamination.  I know you can't believe everything you read on the internet and I am hoping this is one of those things.

As stated in 10 yrs I had never heard such a theory and only heard that if people with celiac disease were reacting to Soy it was just due to another intolerence to soy and not due to cross contamination.

I have looked on this website and see that soy is listed as a safe food which I hold in high regard.

Thoughts?

Soy is a bit different than wheat or oats.  Soy is a bean. It is easy to wash off.  I think this is a big difference in why oats are cc'd and soy is usually considered safe.  Just my thought.

Now, it is possible to have an issue with soy - Celiac or not.

i am sensitive to soy - completely different reaction than gluten.  i still eat it (but avoid it as much as possible) because it's NOT the gluten gift that keeps on giving (for 2 weeks) soy is a short reaction and it's gone.  if i was getting a gluten reaction from soy, i would avoid it like the plague.  soy is BEANS grown in a POD <outside covering.  you don't eat the pod, anyway.....