Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

strings

Maintaining A Gluten Free Diet

With having negative results from taking various tests, I don't see any other option than to just stick with a gluten and dairy free diet. The problem is, I don't know if I'm getting the right nutritional values and generally sticking with the diet as I've failed most times.

A little background, I have a lot of symptoms, including depression and eczema, and my brother has experienced the same symptoms,only that he's been diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease. So I guess the best way is to just stick to a gluten free diet.

My average day is 3 egg omelette with spinach and onions.

Cup of brown rice with pan fried chicken.

Cup of brown rice with veggies and yoghurt.

1 piece of fruit.

Snacks I usually eat nuts, rice cakes with avocado/peanut butter and raw veggies.

Is that enough? I'm an active person too so I'm trying to find rich dense foods that'll help me put on weight. (fast metabolism)

I'm fine for the first week, but as the days goes on, I'm over these foods, I'm craving simply convenient foods such as bread and I just hit back at gluten foods.

What's a good way to discipline yourself?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

I hope that the diet changes help you! I had a very severe skin rash in my pre-gluten-free days and gluten-free has helped my skin a lot!

If there are specific things that you miss, I would try to find satisfying replacements for them.

My favorite bread brand is Canyon Bakehouse bread. It is 100% whole grain and tastes great. 

Being gluten-free is also a great opportunity to try different foods! I have a Farm Share where I get a different box of produce each week and that has helped me in learning to try new things and enjoy new ways of fixing veggies.

I noticed yogurt on your list. If you need a dairy free substitute for that, there is soy yogurt, almond milk yogurt, and coconut milk yogurt. 

What about keeping some gluten-free bread at home? Udi's bread isn't bad - I like it toasted anyways.  LOL ;) Maybe make yourself some muffins and freeze them for emergency snacking?  Almond and coconut flours are filling and healthy. I like to add flax meal and protein powders to all of my baking too.

I use coconut oil or Earth's Balance in my baking for most oils, instead of dairy. What yogurt are you eating if you are dairy free?  Coconut yogurt is good but the texture takes some getting used to.

Why did you decide to limit yourself to these few foods? Maybe check out the What's for Dinner Chat and see what everyone eats. There are soooooo many things to eat that are gluten-free.

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/75238-the-whats-for-dinner-tonight-chat/page-554#entry916466

• Celiac.com Sponsor:

• Forum Discussions

The other thing to take into account is that it's not just you learning, it's the people that live with you. You will make mistakes in the beginning and that's with you being celiac. Other people don't even think about cross contamination...
    More than likely you have Celiac Disease. You can't know for sure that it's celiac vs another disease without the biopsy but with your labs it's probably 90%+ Celiac Disease. Drs will typically not want to comment on the diagnosis until they...
    Hello everyone. I'm 46 and have suffered from a myriad of symptoms for the past 25 years (diarrhea/constipation, rashes, reflux, fatigue, mouth ulcers, allergy symptoms, eye inflammation, brain fog, pressure headaches, hearing loss, more recently...