Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlessedMommy

Glass Cutting Boards

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Just something to consider. Glass is the most non-porous surface, but I believe glass cutting boards will dull your knives quicker than other types... nothing's perfect :)

Glass cutting boards are fine to share. When I was sharing a kitchen I got one because I wanted my cutting boards to be safe from CC. I hated it. It makes the most God-awful sound in creation when you use it, is a terrible surface for whatever you're cutting to hold still on and will dull your knives really quickly. It's now used as a place to set hot things.

Concerns about other things aside, gluten is not an issue in my world when it comes to glass cutting boards or other things in the kitchen. Glass does not scratch and is easy to clean. Enjoy!

Yep, with it being easy to clean, once you are used to it it will be fine.  I would buy a cheaper, dedicated knife for it that you can easily replace since they can dull nice knives.  And watch out for slippery stuff!

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't have any plans of getting one for my kitchen (my kitchen is 99% gluten free), but when I go to my SIL's house, it's good to know that it's perfectly safe. I might still bring along my wooden cutting board, though, because wood is my favorite. 

I've bought some flexible very thin plastic cutting boards that cost maybe $3 or $4 each.
I take them when I travel, or go somewhere away from my own kitchen.  I use those, and I can lay them on any counter to protect form cross contamination.

We travel a lot, and I use them in hotel room kitchens.

That's a great idea Cathy! Not only for cutting, but also for making a gluten free sandwich or any other kitchen activity. It'd sure be easier and less intrusive than giving your relative's counter a thorough scrub down with soap and water. LOL!

• Celiac.com Sponsor:

• Forum Discussions

Dear god yes lol, I have a corn allergy and the starch is hit miss if it triggers a reaction, but they could also be from rice, or tapioca....seriously they need to go the route of many shampoos/body washes that list the chemical/ingredient...
    since they just say "food starch" they could have made it from a cows arse for all i know. they need to just say what it comes from every time lol
    Here is the interpretation chart he sent me and yes I have 2 kids in which their pediatrician said they didn’t need to be tested unless they show symptoms which goes against everything I have read about symptoms being silent etc.... Is i...