Rate this topic

I use Nature Made gummies. I like them because they're one less "pill" in my life, they taste good and they don't have iron which makes me sick as a dog.

Thank you for the response. Gummies work well for you? 

Country Life G F Multivitamin

Thank you. Are those pills? I personally use liquid supplementation due to the fact they have a much higher absorption rate (almost 10x more) than pill forms.. 

I personally use liquid supplementation due to the fact they have a much higher absorption rate (almost 10x more) than pill forms.. 

That's not necessarily true. That's just what the people who make liquid vitamins tell us. ^_^  And there are many articles that argue both forms back and forth, with no real definitive answer.  They are easier to swallow, yes.

but, they cost more and they may lose potency faster.

Dr. Weil's site: While it is true that liquid vitamins may get into your system better than supplements that do not fully dissolve, the fact is that liquid vitamins aren't any better for you than good quality vitamin and mineral supplements that are formulated to be easily digested and absorbed in pill form. The downside to liquid supplements is that they're much more expensive. And since many vitamins, particularly vitamin C, begin to break down upon exposure to air, in some cases the potency of liquid vitamins may begin to wane as soon as you open the bottle - even sooner if they aren't well manufactured, carefully packaged, and properly stored.

also, check out this consumer report 

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2008/04/q-a-liquid-vitamins-better-absorption/index.htm

Yep, the gummies work great for me. A year after my diagnosis I was folic acid deficient and was told to take a supplement of some sort. I've been tested many times since then, and my levels are back to normal so it's definitely working.

Nature Made has many gluten-free vitamins. And the nice thing is, they are a available at places like Walmart and Target. Not expensive and easy to get. Just read the label as I am not sure if all of their vitamins and supplements are gluten-free.

I've heard that capsules are best because the pills can sometimes have a coating on them that can be harder to break down, especially the less expensive ones. It's not always easy to find all my supplements in capsules though. I guess if the pill doesn't have a coating on it to make it shiny, it wouldn't matter. I try to stick to health food store/sites for supplements to be safe.

I've heard that capsules are best because the pills can sometimes have a coating on them that can be harder to break down, especially the less expensive ones. It's not always easy to find all my supplements in capsules though. I guess if the pill doesn't have a coating on it to make it shiny, it wouldn't matter. I try to stick to health food store/sites for supplements to be safe.

I know some medications have coatings so that they won't dissolve too soon - like in your stomach. Maybe some vitamins are like that?

Ahh I see. Well the products I use aren't really that much more expensive, yet you are getting your entire does of vitamins and minerals your body needs. The company even has clinical studies out showing that the ORAC levels are pretty high after consumption and stay in your blood for a good portion of the day! But who knows, maybe I'm just biased because I also enjoy the benefits of the business side of our company. 

What does that mean? Do you work for a company that sells liquid vitamins?  :D that means you are biased, IMHO

I know some medications have coatings so that they won't dissolve too soon - like in your stomach. Maybe some vitamins are like that?

Yes, I guess for time release pills that would be the case.

I don't have any written evidence for this but I have heard and read that Centrum vitamins which may be the most popular multi (I used to take them myself) are coated with shellac which is the same thing used in wood finishing. I used to get colonics and the lady I used to go to said she has seen them come out the other end completely whole. This is bordering on TMI maybe but I read a story about people who clean out port-a-potties for a living, finding them whole in the bottom of the tanks. The human body apparently cant digest them.

I also read that you can test this by plunking a Centrum vitamin in a glass of water to see what it does or doesn't do. I've never tried it.

Anyway, I believe that it's best to use supplements made from whole foods, rather than chemically made ones for absorption reasons. I used to use Nature Made all the time. I don't have any info on them but I usually go by the cost and smell of vitamins. The ones that cost a bit more are larger, and smell stronger because they are made from real food sources. At least that's what I believe.

I don't have any written evidence for this but I have heard and read that Centrum vitamins which may be the most popular multi (I used to take them myself) are coated with shellac which is the same thing used in wood finishing. I used to get colonics and the lady I used to go to said she has seen them come out the other end completely whole. This is bordering on TMI maybe but I read a story about people who clean out port-a-potties for a living, finding them whole in the bottom of the tanks. The human body apparently cant digest them.

I have heard this too FruitE. I used to use Shaklee multivitamins and my sales rep had told me that their supplements were not "Golden Bullets". I had no idea what she was talking about. She said some of the supplements out there didn't dissolve and just ended up in the toilet whole, and since they are expensive, they were referred to as Golden Bullets.