Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The testing to determine if I have celiac is taking forever. I made the mistake of going off gluten last August, so any bloodwork has been negative but I am positive for the H.L.A. DQ2. The dr wants to do an endoscopy because any damage still may show up. 

Anyway, I was doing okay avoiding gluten until eating some BBQ from a restaurant. The same day, I ate eggs from another restaurant that tasted powdered, not like a fresh egg. The following day, my stomach was really crampy and I had a headache and felt off. 

This week I had dinner at a friends house. There were corn chips and a homemade dip that had no gluten. I ate that plus some BBQ chicken salad. Within an hour of eating, I got all hot and dizzy, felt like I was going to throw up. My stomach hasn't been right since and Im very tired. I never experienced the feeling of I'M GOING TO THROW UP RIGHT NOW.

It seems like my reactions to trace amounts of gluten are getting worse!

I am seriously afraid to eat anything. Im literally so hungry that my stomach is rumbling.

I guess my question is- do people grow more sensitive to gluten and get worse reactions? Does gluten make people throw up? Where in my meal was gluten hiding?

Help! 

I am not sure where the gluten was hiding (too many variables to figure out where/how) but I will tell you this: your doctor is wrong if he thinks the biopsy will be valid after being off gluten for 9 months. Sorry, hon.

Consuming gluten for blood tests and biopsy is required. Maybe if it were 3-6 months, but it may not

give you a positive result now.

The presence of the DQ2 genes does not mean you have celiac. It means you may be at risk, if you

have a relative with celiac.

"Since 1/3 of the general population also have the genes  DQ2 or DQ8 , the presence of them does not imply that the person will develop celiac disease,"

http://www.massgeneral.org/children/services/celiac-disease/celiac-disease-faq.aspx

Well eating out and eating at anyones house of course you can get CC'd , I think even at another Celiacs house you can be CC'd some are not as tight as others when it comes to CC'd , I went to my Daughters house and she was having a gluten-free pizza and a regular Pizza, I could not eat the gluten-free pizza anyway it had soy and corn. But I was watching her she put both small pizzas on the same cookie sheet, Then when she had to move them she used the same spatula. I said well even if I could of eaten it I couldn't now. Talk about CC!! She said yea well I know your not eating it. I would not of eaten it anyway because she had it on an older Cookie sheet. she never cover the cookie sheet with foil or anything. 

Well eating out and eating at anyones house of course you can get CC'd , I think even at another Celiacs house you can be CC'd some are not as tight as others when it comes to CC'd , I went to my Daughters house and she was having a gluten-free pizza and a regular Pizza, I could not eat the gluten-free pizza anyway it had soy and corn. But I was watching her she put both small pizzas on the same cookie sheet, Then when she had to move them she used the same spatula. I said well even if I could of eaten it I couldn't now. Talk about CC!! She said yea well I know your not eating it. I would not of eaten it anyway because she had it on an older Cookie sheet. she never cover the cookie sheet with foil or anything. 

Last time we went to grill with friends, I took my own chicken and a piece of foil to grill my chicken on so that it didn't touch the grill surface. Also took my own dip and my own chips and told them how sensitive I was. She got out new butter for the potatoes and it was a great evening! 

Your CC could've come from anywhere - the eggs, the BBQ sauce, it's just hard to tell. It could've come from a pot or even the grill.

I get awful abdominal cramping and then nausea and D for days. My stomach burns, my left eye swells and my foot hurts. And I'm dizzy/off kilter. And I can't complete a thought or a sentence. This is a short list - everyone's symptoms are different. If you know gluten is making you sick then you either have to do a gluten challenge for the test or tell your doc NO NO NO and then stay off of gluten. No way could I do a challenge, but that's just me!