jessiep

Do I Have This Type Of Dermatitis?

Rate this topic

Hi Guys,

I have a recurring problem with dry skin on my scalp, I have been to the doctors many times for this problem yet I seem to spend more time struggling with this problem, rather than getting any relief from it. The doctors have diagnosed me with dermatitis, and tell me that the skin will always flare up, but since my problem never really goes, I am concerned I may have something underlying that is causing this problem!

My main concern is constant small flaking skin on the scalp; I wake up everyday in small patches of my skin, but I also have oozing behind the tops of my ears which crust. This symptom often returns on it own without any trigger such as itching. When I look through my hair I often see patches/dots that are not there. I also find my scalp itches like crazy if I don't get to wash my hair. I would describe my scalp feeling dry, tight, and burny. It has nearly got me to tears its felt so bad at times!

The doctors have prescribed me previously hydrocerin crème, betanove scalp application and a antibiotics. But nothing really helps and the initial skin problems are returning a few months later. I've tried all the sensitive shampoo, t-gel nizorals! 

Does this sound like a celiac problem? 

It does not sound like celiac/DH, but there are so many manifestations of celiac disease. Have you googled for home made shampoos? Like 1 cup water with 1 Tbl. of baking soda? I would bet you are reacting to commercial hair product ingredients.

Ahh yeah I've tried apple cider vinegar, olive oil and tea tree! Will try baking soda next though! I'm looking at Celiac currently as I can relate to other symptoms such as an un-describable sensation in my feet, bloating, tiredness, etc! 

It certainly doesn't sound like dh at this point. I have to agree with cyclinglady that it sounds more like your shampoo. But with celiac & also with non celiac gluten intolerance; there can be many skin different issues besides dh as well as allergies. The apple cider vinegar could make your scalp drier & flaky. The tea tree, while much touted b/c it's a "natural" product does not mean it cures all ills or is the panacea for all people in all circumstances. In some cases, tea tree oil can be VERY strong. Olive oil of course, is not going to clean your hair. The baking soda would be really neutral. I did try that myself at one time & did not like the way it left my hair or the feeling. No matter how much I rinsed, it left a residue on my scalp & hair but I have heard others say it worked wonders for them. I suppose a lot depends on your particular hair type. Mine is baby fine & gets weighted down quite easily.

Have you tried Castile soap? Or castile shampoo? But not ones with a lot of commercial ingredients.