bren024

Am I Going Through A Gluten Withdrawal?

Rate this topic

I basically have every symptom listed for gluten sensitivity. Stomach problems, eczema, fatique, irritability, depression, etc. I tried a gluten free diet for a week before my blood test testing for celiacs (with a few slips) and resumed gluten for the day before my appointment. I now know you're supposed to fully on gluten, so of course, my test results were negative :( I have been continuing to eat gluten free FULLY, and for the past 4 days, I have had terrible stomach pain, diarrhea/constipation, and tonight I just broke out into hives all over my legs!! I don't know if I have allergies and caught a stomach bug at the same time, or if my symptoms are related to my gluten-free diet. Does this sound like withdrawal symptoms? 

Also, if these are withdrawal symptoms, would everybody experience these if they stopped gluten, or do these symptoms only appear in people with an intolerance? :unsure:  

That could be withdrawal, although the rash would not be (as far as I know). Withdrawal usually includes a lot of fatigue, moodiness, headaches, and some stomach issues.  Because you went gluten-free so recently, you could still be getting gluten sensitivity symptoms - they can continue popping up for weeks or months after going gluten-free. You need to give the gluten-free diet a good 6 months before judging its effectiveness; some lucky ones are fine by 3 months. My constipation issues did not sort themselves out for 6 months and then it switched to D fro a few months until I finally settles into "normal" at about 9 months gluten-free. It can really take some time.  :(

Are you going to retest? If so, you should resume eating gluten as soon as possible.  The longer you are off gluten, the longer the gluten challenge required will be. People who are gluten-free need to eat gluten 3 months before testing. Ouch!

Good luck with the gluten-free diet or retesting!  And welcome to the board.  :)

You could be reacting to the gluten you had the day before the blood test. If your body was starting to calm down gluten free your antibodies may have flared after your day of gluten foods. Sometimes it can take up to a week for a reaction to hit hard. In myself it takes about 3 days for the reaction but people differ. 

If you are done with all celiac related testing then give the diet a good strict try for a couple months. Be sure to read the Celiac 101 thread to get all the info you can to keep yourself fully gluten free.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

The hives are not a gluten withdrawal symptom though it can be a reaction to ingesting gluten.

I don't really remember what the symptoms of withdrawal were other than being REALLY tired for weeks. I was sleeping 2-3 hours more than normal a day, and I generally didn't want to do anything. But I was also feeling great because some of my worst symptoms had disappeared almost immediately. I think I may have had a pretty bad headache days 1-4 as well.

But it sounds as if you could benefit from keeping a food diary because you could have additional food intolerances and/or allergies. Do an internet search for "rotation diet" in order to learn some tips for how to eat in four-day cycles that can help relate reactions to the foods that cause them ... and is easier than a full-on elimination diet.

Nicole---I had no idea it was so long.  Lol my informed GI had me eat it for 10 days.

I don't think I will ever do it for 3 months.

Nicole---I had no idea it was so long.  Lol my informed GI had me eat it for 10 days.

I don't think I will ever do it for 3 months.

Oops! Sorry I missed your reply.

Yes, three month is a long time.  Some can get away with a two month gluten challenge, but if you get a negative result at two months it is tough to know for sure if it is accurate or a false negative.

Are you starting to feel a bit better on the gluten-free yet?

Despite going gluten free 4 months ago, my tests results were still positive, and OFF THE CHARTS. My boyfriend has a gluten intolerance (doesn't have the gene for celiac), so he went off gluten as well and had a terrible time, headache, mood swings and tired all the time. Which was funny because I had all those symptoms, PLUS MORE my whole like when i was eating gluten!

My experience in going off gluten was that everyday, I felt a bit better and after just a day or 2 my headaches went away. After a week and a half, I felt like 1 million bucks!! So much energy!

Everyone is different, I suggest drinking lots of water and eating lots of fresh foods during the transition.