Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

higher

Frozen Unlabelled French Fries

We have a huge sack of frozen french fries in the fridge that are straight  cut. I'm wondering just how common it is to put gluten/wheat flour in french fries that are sold frozen at the store, they've been sitting there for a month because my whole family is gluten free and have no idea what to do with them. obviously i'm talking wheat flour actually in the ingredients, unlike CC from restaurant fryers..

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

We have a huge sack of frozen french fries in the fridge that are straight  cut. I'm wondering just how common it is to put gluten/wheat flour in french fries that are sold frozen at the store, they've been sitting there for a month because my whole family is gluten free and have no idea what to do with them. obviously i'm talking wheat flour actually in the ingredients, unlike CC from restaurant fryers..

They have no label?  I don't think it is common to put wheat on fries, but I never eat anything I don't know the ingredients of.  How did you buy them with no label?  Maybe the place you bought them could tell you the ingredients?

The cafeteria at the company I work for sells fries and although I wouldn't eat them becuase of the shared frier, I did ask to see the ingredient list becuase they looked like they had a extra cripy coating and sure enough the third ingredient was wheat flour.   Now these didn't look coated like a Checker's fry, they just didn't look like a nice smooth fry, they had a little extra something or crisp look to them.   Probably not a common practice, but personally I wouldn't eat anything I didn't have an ingredient list for.  It would be just my luck they would have used wheat on mine :)  

I wouldn't eat them.  When in doubt, throw it out.  Or give to a friend.

• Celiac.com Sponsor:

• Forum Discussions

The other thing to take into account is that it's not just you learning, it's the people that live with you. You will make mistakes in the beginning and that's with you being celiac. Other people don't even think about cross contamination...
    More than likely you have Celiac Disease. You can't know for sure that it's celiac vs another disease without the biopsy but with your labs it's probably 90%+ Celiac Disease. Drs will typically not want to comment on the diagnosis until they...
    Hello everyone. I'm 46 and have suffered from a myriad of symptoms for the past 25 years (diarrhea/constipation, rashes, reflux, fatigue, mouth ulcers, allergy symptoms, eye inflammation, brain fog, pressure headaches, hearing loss, more recently...