Monkeygirl1337

Symptoms - Starving All The Time

Rate this topic

Long story short - I started the gluten-free diet due to have 9/10 of the signs of the disease. I now know I should have been tested first, but I am very sensitive and can't afford to be sick for 8-12 weeks.  I was diagnosed with celiac disease through extreme symptoms and a strong family history on both sides, and a benefit from the gluten free diet. I have self-eliminated fodmaps as a cause of my symptoms as well. But I eat insanely large amounts of calories a day, and I still am hungry. I probably eat 2000+ calories with plenty of protein and fat. But I feel extremely hungry after eating. I eat 7 times a day. I was mildly hypoglycemic before the gluten-free diet but now my blood sugar is crazy! Are gluten-free foods structured differently chemically? What would some good healthy low glycemic foods be?

Monekygirl, welcome!

I'm not sure about good low glycemic gluten free foods, but I do want to give a bit of feedback...

I am severely hypoglycemic. I have WALKED into the ER with my blood glucose at 40-45 (by all rights one should be unconscious at that point). However, I keep getting "normal" hemoglobin A1C tests (meaning that my glucose balances out overall somehow). It is my understanding that when celiac damages the villi in your intestines, it reduces your body's ability to absorb nutrient (to include glucose). That being said, it makes sense that the hypoglycemia can be explained by your body not absorbing the sugars, but instead just letting them pass through the system. That is the biggest thing right now that has my doctor helping me push the insurance to approve a full set of tests for celiac. But going gluten free, your villi will heal (not sure how long you have been gluten-free, or the extent of villi damage) and now your body may not know how to react to the glucose, causing your levels to go crazy.

Has anyone heard of having type II Diabetes, and becoming normal after cutting out the gluten?  I've dropped about 15 mg/dl's on average in 5 days....after being stable for ages on my previous glutenous diet!

Type II is insulin dependent, right? I have not seen anything showing that happening or any studies on the matter. To be honest, it doesn't make much sense thinking about the fact celiac tends to lower your body's ability to absorb nutrients. However, I do think I have read about celiac also affecting the functioning of other organs (don't quote that, I'm in a brain fog right now). But if it does affect other organs functions (like causing the pancreas to not produce enough insulin naturally), then it could make sense in the healing process, the other organs begin to function at a higher level. It would be worth looking into though for sure. :)

Has anyone heard of having type II Diabetes, and becoming normal after cutting out the gluten?  I've dropped about 15 mg/dl's on average in 5 days....after being stable for ages on my previous glutenous diet!

No. I have diabetes that has been diagnosed a year after going gluten free. Perhaps you have reduced grains, sugar, starches in the last week?

Monkey girl,

Have you been tested for type 1 diabetes? Celiac and type 1 share the same genes. What exactly does "my blood sugar is crazy" mean?

If you do have celiac disease, you can be malnourished and hungry. You need nutrious foods. Since your mom does not cook, looks like you should learn. There are plenty of people on YouTube who can show you how to cook.

Stick to meat, fish, eggs, veggies and fruit -- very simple foods and supplement as well. If you are eating whole foods with plenty of good fats, you should not feel hungry. Sounds like you eat too much junk (processed foods that are filled with fast acting carbs).