C-Girl

Any Organizations To Educate Restaurants On Allergens?

Rate this topic

Hey y'all. So I have a Mexican place near me that has some items labelled gluten-free on the menu. I've been there a couple times, and usually get the steak and rice dish because it's safe. I'm afraid to eat the tortillas even though they claim they're gluten-free. The first time I went, I sat at the bar because it was packed, and the bartender claimed the chips were gluten-free. I did not eat them, because he didn't seem sure.

Next time I went I got an excellent server who explained that one dish, flautas, were fried in a shared fryer, and the chips were too.

Obviously there are some servers who are more educated than others.

I wonder - is there any sort of national organization that is attempting to educate restaurants about gluten and celiac disease?

I'm going to call the restaurant manager and try to educate them on the importance of only labeling items gluten free that are absolutely gluten free. After all, the new laws will apply to restaurants too. I don't want those labels to go away because they don't want to get in trouble with the FDA, but I want them to mean something. Maybe I should start my own organization!